S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: head gasket questions please clarity!  (Read 3084 times)

September 01, 2006, 07:45:43 pm

Hillshy

• Junior

• http://www.hillshy.co.uk
head gasket questions please clarity!
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:45:43 pm »
Hi All,

Hi all, I'm a newB to this site, so first and foremost HI ALL, fantastic site  , the info on this site is great!! keep up the good work, i had no idea these engines were soooo good to tune up, and the power they can produce.

I currently have a t25 caravelle with 1.7N/A engine , and have just purchased a 1.6td Sb intercooled engine for a winter transplant.

b4 I transplant i'm intending to pop the head and have a good look inside,
so will be needing a head gasket.

I have read posts in ref to 1.6td head gasket upgrade, can somebody clarify some points -

1/ the upgrade is to a metal one from 1.9td?

2/ are there are modifications needed to either engine or gasket?

3/ could someone provide a part number,

only reason I ask is that I saw a thread with pictures where holes were being drilled into the block?

Sorry if this has been covered already, i'd rather be safe than sorry i'm sure yo understand.  

thanks guys,
ps this site is amazing

The quest = to go up hills without dropping to 3rd gear!

Hillshy T25 caravelle "Hilli" currently thrashing 1.6 td GTD engine
NOT SO FRIGGEN HILLSHY ANYMORE!
15psi of BOOST set my c'velle free

Reply #1September 09, 2006, 08:50:26 am

Hillshy

• Junior

• http://www.hillshy.co.uk
Bhp estimations
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:50:26 am »
Hey libbybapa,

thanks for your reply and info. i'm on a massive learning curve with respect to tuning diesels as nornally a petrol/gasser so I have much I wish to learn. As a fail safe plan, im not going to touch the 1.7 N/a as its a real sweet clean non smoky lump; slow but reliable. just pull it out and put in the corner of the garage as a plan B engine.

All efforts are now fixed on transplanting Sb lump (uk golf gtd) installed into my caravelle, but this time i plan to mount it upright and not tilted 50 deg as found in the normal setup. I got the engine and box (but missing the intercooler) for £200 which I was really happy with from ebay. A good friend has given me an intercooler from 200bhp Rover Td so it should be adequate for my needs.

Here's the question, with a Modded diesel pump and mild boosting coupled with correct manifold down pipe(free flowing type 2.5") what sort of bhp can I expect 100 bhp? what do ya think?
Hillshy T25 caravelle "Hilli" currently thrashing 1.6 td GTD engine
NOT SO FRIGGEN HILLSHY ANYMORE!
15psi of BOOST set my c'velle free

Fixmyvw.com