S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.9 Crank Question  (Read 1796 times)

August 31, 2006, 02:57:13 pm

2mn2

1.9 Crank Question
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:57:13 pm »
I have a late production nos 1.9 td engine. The crank has a 12 pt bolt on the snout and I am planning on running the 1.6 td style v belts on this engine. My racing days have been over for years and this engine will not be flogged. It will see mostly highway driving with some mountain driving.

Is the 12 pt bolt some sort of improved crank bolt or will this crank need the snout modified?

m alexander

Reply #1August 31, 2006, 04:38:37 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

1.9 Crank Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:38:37 pm »
The 12 point bolt is standard issue for a 1.9TD. If the engine was a factory reman or built after the 1997 it will very likely have the TDI style crank. The 12 point bolt will have a projection in the middle of the head and be marked "12.9" if this is the case.

If it has no projection on the bolt head and the bolt is  marked "10.9" it's probably the old style crank. In which case I would remove the crank pulley and inspect the keyway in the crank. If the pulley key fits snug I would put it back together. I use a bit of loctite around the OD of the pulley where it fits over the crank nose and a bit to fill in any gaps around the key. Try to keep the loctite off the end face. Install with a new bolt torqued to spec (66ft/lbs +90º a dab of loctite on the bolt won't hurt either) and run it until the next timing belt change. I've been doing this for 300000km and have had good luck. With the small 1.6 harmonic balancer and minimal accessory load it'll be fine.

Fixmyvw.com