Author Topic: 1986 Jetta Properly converting from AC to single V belt  (Read 1532 times)

February 17, 2024, 12:59:12 pm

Sawbones

1986 Jetta Properly converting from AC to single V belt
« on: February 17, 2024, 12:59:12 pm »
I have a 1986 Jetta 1.6 NA diesel. It used to be an AC car. Previous owner stripped everything and it came to me with a waterpump and alternator that didn't line up with the crank pulley. I went through a bunch of nonsense and got everything in line but I'd like to have the proper single belt setup. If I were to walk into a part store I wouldn't be able to say what belt I need for my crank/waterpump/alternator nor would I be able to say what alternator I need. Can I get the parts from a Rabbit diesel or MK2 diesel and bolt it on, off to the races? My alternator is a long shaft motorola but it used to be a Bosch and I don't mind swapping it back if needs be.

What all do I need? I think crank pulley, waterpump pulley, alternator but if there's other things, I'm kind of at a loss.

Reply #1February 17, 2024, 07:04:10 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: 1986 Jetta Properly converting from AC to single V belt
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 07:04:10 pm »
 I think there is a writeup in the FAQs.
 Just rotate the AC alternator down, grind a little so it will go down farther.
 Use a ford double pully and the same AC belt.
 Along with some creative adjuster bar stuff.

I put this non-AC, MK2 stuff on all my MK1s.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2February 18, 2024, 09:24:54 am

Sawbones

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 09:24:54 am »
I was looking for a writeup on it. I'd think there ought to be several but maybe they're buried way back. I had to shim my waterpump pulley about 1/8" out from the engine and that put it dead nuts on. Then I used the deep alternator pulley and machined off about 1/4" of the big spacer in between the pulley and alternator. That put it very close but could use probably a 1/64" shave. I'd like to have the factory gear from a non-AC vehicle so there's no confusion when ordering parts. I'd figure it could be taken from a Rabbit diesel or any other non-ac diesel but I don't know for sure.

Reply #3February 19, 2024, 02:19:49 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 02:19:49 am »
I always have a hard time finding the link to the write-up/DIY.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block