Author Topic: MK2 Jetta GP relay running WAY too long  (Read 1668 times)

November 11, 2023, 05:05:34 pm

Sawbones

MK2 Jetta GP relay running WAY too long
« on: November 11, 2023, 05:05:34 pm »
1986 Jetta 1.6 NA diesel. Multiple owners before me and it seems like they've ALL been into the wiring. The wiring is a mess. Invariably the factory Heidelberg has been replaced with some generic piece of crap with a fold out touch screen and the wiring is all over the place.

Onward...

I turn the key on, no glow plug light but the GP relay is working. I timed it and it stays on for over a minute before it clicks off. It's delivering voltage to the glow plugs. There are wires under the hood that aren't hooked up. I have the temp gauge working but I don't know if I have it on the right sender. I've read that there's another sender that tells the GP relay how long to run but even with it unhooked should the relay run for this long? I know the LED for the glow plugs is good but that's about it. If I can track down the wire that powers that LED I **Think can tap from the "L" pin on the GP relay and make it work. I could do the classic push button and Ford solenoid to run the glow plugs but Man I just wanted ONE of them that works as the factory intended.

It's an abandoned/stalled project, solid body, runs and drives great. It came cheap and I knew I was going to get into some nonsense. Just electrical and some other loose ends and I have a great car for the rest of my life.