S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Just wondering about this transmission troubles  (Read 1808 times)

September 28, 2023, 10:21:00 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Just wondering about this transmission troubles
« on: September 28, 2023, 10:21:00 pm »
I was watching something today and got to thinking about all of us who have trouble with the aging shift mechanisms in our 1980s vehicles.
Does anyone know if a Honda or Toyota CVT transmission can be adapted into our older VWs? 

I know there are plates that allow transmissions to fit our diesel engines from other manufacturers but has anyone knowledge of a CVT VW?

One that runs off our four-banger engines?

Reply #1September 28, 2023, 11:25:05 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: Just wondering about this transmission troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 11:25:05 pm »
 Not sure about other models but there are ways to swap an 02A or 02J into a Rabbit.
 And a way to mount the MK4 cable shifter, which has a nice feel and lasts a long time.

I haven't bolted one up to a 1.6 yet though.
 I'm curious if it could pull the car up a hill and against a headwind in 5th with an 02J diesel trany.
 Seems like the high gear is taller than the 020 from the MK1s.
 The AGS (MK2 TD Jetta) trany I'm using is way high in the RPMs at 70mph.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2December 31, 2023, 11:51:01 am

GypsyR

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 11:51:01 am »
Seems like a huge amount of work for small to no gain. They're OK (except for Jatco/Nissan ones) but I'm not the biggest fan of CVT's.
Ten years ago I bought a rod end type linkage set like this.
https://s-pautomotive.com/product/mk1-shift-linkage-kit/
And bought some machined Delrin bushings for what the kit didn't cover. Mine's a commuter/daily driver. I have had to replace the "lollipop" ball bit as no one sells an upgraded version of that one part. Other than that I haven't touched the linkage or needed to.

At one time I tweaked my pump settings up for more power and found that the clutch would slip at full throttle in third gear so I had to back it off to preserve the clutch. One to that issue solution would be a Scirocco 16V slightly bigger clutch setup but that is more than a little trouble. A CVT would end run around THAT problem I imagine. Lot of work though. The biggest issues I would think would be first mating one to the engine. Second, as all CVT's are computer controlled, figuring out how to make that work with a non-computerized engine. I think the second issue about kills it.

Reply #3January 01, 2024, 02:03:26 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 02:03:26 am »
  Any gasser clutch is an upgrade from 200mm to 210mm.
 Even the 1.8, 8V engines had that upgrade.
 And it will usually hold a turboed 1.6.
 Not quite enough to hold the 1.7TD.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #4January 02, 2024, 09:54:23 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 09:54:23 am »
the gas 210mm flywheels are a great upgrade, just keep in mind they have a different timing mark on them for tdc. Sourcing one from a mk3 aaz would be ideal.

i wouldn't want to mess with a cvt, maybe on a tdi it would be easy to send the tcm the correct information to make it operate but i think it'd be a pretty expensive and difficult swap. I dont really like cvt's because they dont seem to last as long and theyre expensive to replace.

I think it'd be cheaper and better to rebuild/upgrade an 020 or rebuild and swap to an 02a/j or 6 speed 02s. I think they make mount kits for the 02m 6 speeds as well.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit