S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6TD Glow plug activation  (Read 974 times)

July 11, 2023, 12:38:15 pm

Ohiobenz

• Junior

1.6TD Glow plug activation
« on: July 11, 2023, 12:38:15 pm »
I have a 1.6TD out of a 90 Jetta swapped in my Samurai.
How did the glow plugs get activated in the Jetta?

Originally the PO of my Sammy had a momentary pushbutton and an LED indicator.

I left the indicator but added a 1 minute timed relay that actuates a 60A relay.
The timed relay is actuated by the starter solenoid power - as soon as click the starter it starts the timed relay which sends power to close the 60A relay which sends power directly from the battery to the glow plugs.
So a quick click of the starter the glow plugs are turned on, I wait a bit then hit the starter again and start the engine.

I can't find a 30 sec 5 pin timed relay... think a minute is too long.
I haven't figured out how else to automatically provide power to the relay other than via the starter circuit.

I would like to have an automatic activation when the ignition key is turned on so curious what the VW setup was.

TIA

'88 Suzuki Samurai with '85 1.6 TD
K14 turbo
BOV eliminated
Giles performance built IP

Reply #1July 11, 2023, 01:04:44 pm

Ohiobenz

• Junior

Re: 1.6TD Glow plug activation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 01:04:44 pm »
'88 Suzuki Samurai with '85 1.6 TD
K14 turbo
BOV eliminated
Giles performance built IP

Reply #2July 11, 2023, 10:22:06 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1.6TD Glow plug activation
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 10:22:06 pm »
I thought the relay got 12 VDC from the key when you put it in the run position.  That started the timer in the relay and when you cranked the key to the start position it sent voltage to the starter. 

In my VW truck, I had the contacts get all fried in the back of the key from the heavy load of the system so I put a relay in that gets a feed off the ignition. When I turn the key it turns on a Ford Truck relay that sends power to the glow plugs.  It also sends power to another relay that will send power to the started when I hit a momentary switch on the dash.

So I turn the key, count to about 20 if it is a cold morning, and then push the starter button.  Varrooom off she goes. 

Fixmyvw.com