S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Ordered an AAZ... Recieved a 1Z w/ mechanical pump... Will it work?  (Read 2886 times)

June 28, 2023, 02:42:12 pm

NotSoGrandGarage

Hey alls,

I'm new here.  I've been on the FB groups and pages all day looking around trying to figure out what I received from the importer.

I ordered a "90k mile 1.9TD AAZ" engine that was complete.  When it showed up, it ended up being a 1Z TDI long block with what appears to be AAZ Ecodiesel pump and manifolds/turbo on it.

The importer is going to work with me...  either give a partial refund to cover parts or take the engine back.

I started the engine on the pallet.  It started pretty easily...   seems to run decently well considering I only had it running for a minute.  It revs up okay...  a little lazy but if its only got a 75hp pump on it...    that's probably normal.

Soooo....  will the 1Z perform like an AAZ with a stock AAZ pump on it?  Again...  obviously it won't perform like a TDI..   but we weren't planning for a TDI to begin with.  I just want to be able to get the swap on the road and drivable.  Maybe down the road, swap the pump.

If it wont run right at all...    I do have access to an AHU parts car that I can rob all the electricals from...   I'd just prefer to keep it simple and mechanical if at all possible.

I also have no idea if this pump was modified in any way.

Thanks for the input.
-Chris
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 03:49:20 pm by NotSoGrandGarage »

Reply #1June 28, 2023, 04:28:57 pm

NotSoGrandGarage

Re: Ordered an AAZ... Recieved a 1Z w/ mechanical pump... Will it work?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 04:28:57 pm »
Here it is starting on the pallet.

youtube.com/shorts/WYKGyOH3hdU

RPM hangs because a little cover plate on the top of the throttle lever was bent in shipping and was holding the throttle open.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 09:23:07 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #2June 28, 2023, 09:28:13 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 09:28:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum NOTSO...

I modified your message to get the link to work.  When you do a message and want to through a link in there you need to hit the little world-looking symbol below the italics button.  That inserts a URL double-looking symbol thingy.  You cut and paste your link in between those two bracketed URLs and then we all can see the link by double-clicking on it.

I just thought I should let you know how to make that work. 

Reply #3June 29, 2023, 12:52:31 pm

NotSoGrandGarage

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 12:52:31 pm »
Appreciate it.

Reply #4July 05, 2023, 01:09:25 pm

NotSoGrandGarage

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 01:09:25 pm »
Well...   I got a decent refund from the importer and we're keeping the engine.

We're going to drop it in as it sits and see how it performs under load.  I've been told it should be pretty obvious if the pump hasn't been modified.  If that's the case, a friend of mine is giving me a mid-late 90s jetta that still has the harness, ecm, etc..  and pump.  We'll go that route if we have to.

Reply #5July 06, 2023, 02:18:30 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 02:18:30 am »
I hope it works for you.
 A TDI is preferred because it doesn't have prechambers, and is 15% more efficient.
It also has the improve crank sprocket  "flat spot" keyway.

If it works you will have an M-TDI.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #6July 14, 2023, 01:48:11 pm

NotSoGrandGarage

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 01:48:11 pm »
Is there any way to know based on how the engine runs...  if the pump has been modified with the proper cam plate and such?

Reply #7November 02, 2023, 02:33:43 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 02:33:43 pm »
post what all part numbers are on the pump, thats a good starting point. and post some pictures of the pump that might help someone ID it
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Fixmyvw.com