S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: TDI timing belt replace  (Read 941 times)

April 21, 2022, 06:45:11 am

daske

TDI timing belt replace
« on: April 21, 2022, 06:45:11 am »
Hi, I'm new here and am looking for some information. I just recently watched a You Tube video Auto Anatomy posted on how to replace a Timing belt on the same year and engine I have. It was a very informative video so I thanked him for it and asked where he got the printed instructions and pictures he was using for guidance as he worked through the process. He posted a link but unfortunately isn't quite right, so my hope is maybe someone here can direct me to the info I seek???

Reply #1April 21, 2022, 10:05:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: TDI timing belt replace
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 10:05:30 pm »
I would suggest you look through the FAQ and some of the general topics regarding replacing the timing belt.  There are plenty of issues with doing it so it seems based on the number of times I have seen postings about doing the work and now the engine runs like crap.

It is not a hard thing to do but you will need special tools to hold the IP (Injection Pump)  in place, the cam in place, and then the hardest part that goes unsaid in the Bentley manual for our cars is getting the pulley loose from the cam so that when it comes to slipping the belt on at the end you can move the pulley to get it to line up with the notches on the belt.  Once that is done you put tension on the belt with the tension pulley.   

Just don't forget to pull out the IP pin, and cam plate when done or something may go boom when you go to start it up.  Oh, that shouldn't ever happen because......

You are supposed to turn the engine over by hand, I use the crankshaft nut and a long box wrench.  That way you will know if you are clear to start the engine or if the valve is going to tap on the piston because it is not set to TDC as you thought it was when you lined up everything at the beginning. 

If you don't have a mechanics manual yet I can't suggest strongly enough that you get one.  It will save you so many broken knuckles and extra work.

Otherwise thanks for joining.  Enjoy the ride.