S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6TD - Barely smoking  (Read 1142 times)

April 08, 2022, 07:50:06 pm

LBZDmax

1.6TD - Barely smoking
« on: April 08, 2022, 07:50:06 pm »
Why is my 1.6td ecodiesel hardly putting out any smoke? It used to smoke like a freight train before the injection pump was rebuilt. I turned the fuel screw in as much as I could before the revs started to hang really bad and it hardly changed anything, only small clouds when sitting in park and revving to about 3k rpm and when coming out of 2nd gear. Other than that there's barely any smoke.

Not here to get people calling me an idiot for wanting more soot, just need an answer. I've got an egt gauge and know when too much fuel is too much fuel.

Reply #1April 08, 2022, 10:46:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1.6TD - Barely smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 10:46:24 pm »
Well, you fixed the over-fueling issue when you rebuilt it.  Maybe it got cleaned out where it was plugged up on one of the distribution holes.  I wouldn't complain, your MPG has got to go up if you aren't wasting your fuel.  With the price up over or near 5 a gallon, I would say it was money well spent.

Reply #2April 09, 2022, 12:51:12 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 12:51:12 am »
So it has the LDA on top?
 The purpose of that is to reduce smoke,..
 not add fuel as most people think.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3April 11, 2022, 12:13:20 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 12:13:20 am »
fatmobile, I have a smokey tailpipe so which way do I go with the adjustments on the top and the big ring that controls the spring tension under boost?

If I take the main fueling screw back some it will barely have the power to pull away on a slight grade.  And I live on a hill so I need to be able to do just that. 

I did find a steal of a buy on CL this week, 50 bucks for a TD pump, lines, and injectors all in one package deal.  The pump is still all sealed up with paint marks on the screws so I was hoping to check it for its ability to pump fuel and run it as is for now.  Then adjust the current pump I have to match the settings on the new pump and see if the performance is the same. 

Performance could be nasty or good I don't know at this point.  I did check the pin position in the LDA and it is 90 degrees back from the full boost pin position. 

Reply #4April 11, 2022, 01:51:05 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 01:51:05 am »
I'm not really the guy to help with LDA adjustments.
Haven't been inside one in quite awhile.
 Most of the time I run NA pumps.

The local bosch guy told me the LDA is for keeping smoke down when off boost not giving extra power.
 And since the VNT-15 does a good job of providing air down low it doesn't get very smokey,
 unless I really want it too and that cleans up fast when the boost comes on.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #5April 11, 2022, 10:14:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 10:14:56 pm »
I have been up and down a whole trail of options with the pump, I have on now.  I am really hoping this one I just bought is adjusted correctly.  The first one was not and I have spent way too many hours trying to get it to do what I think it should.  Maybe my assumptions are in error.

My thoughts are it shouldn't smoke at idle because you back out the main fueling adjustment to keep that from happening.  Once there the two adjustments in the LDA bring you more fuel as you boost and you control how much by where you set the adjustments.  I just can't seem to find that sweet spot.  So my first 2400 RPMs feel like it is starving for fuel.  Once I hit 2500 RPM it moves out really well and I get a 10 PSI boost going.