Author Topic: expansion plugs  (Read 1348 times)

March 22, 2022, 03:09:48 am

85bertajetta

• Personal Text
    trying to save an abused jetta
expansion plugs
« on: March 22, 2022, 03:09:48 am »
sooo trying to finish up with my rebuild on my 1.6td and when I got the block back from the machine shop they had taken the two small expansion plugs out of the block near the intermediate shaft and they didn't have anything to fit it. I did some measuring and talked to another shop that sold me some (first two were to small) finally got some that seemed to fit but now that the car is all back together I was able to get one heat cycle out if it and it developed a small oil leak took timing belt off and figured it was the o ring on the intermediate shaft retainer plate put it it back together stopped for a few min then out of no where I had a Niagara falls coming off the front of the engine of oil turning my shop floor into lake chevron took it back apart to find that plug fell out. so now my question is does anyone know what size that actually is so I can get the correct one I'm assuming its metric as the one I blew out was standard (I was told by the machine shop it would work fine)

Reply #1March 22, 2022, 11:02:45 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: expansion plugs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 11:02:45 am »
The galley plugs are 14mm expansion plugs.  The end of the intermediate shaft and the 3 freeze plugs are 36.6mm.  I get the 14mm oil galley expansion plugs from the machinist who I have machine my blocks.  The larger freeze plugs are more readily available online.   

Reply #2March 22, 2022, 11:07:56 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 11:07:56 am »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193198070334?hash=item2cfb809a3e:g:8HMAAOSwq15dxG4m

I am not associated and cannot confirm that those are correct, but from the description they appear to be.

I use Permatex 2A on the perimeter of the plugs prior to tapping them into place.  I have installed quite a few and have never had one that I installed leak or pop out.

In your situation of having had the one on the front of the block pop out, I would absolutely, most definitely, pull the engine and replace the plug at the flywheel end of the block.  Given that one popped out, it is very likely the wrong size was used and that is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Reply #3March 22, 2022, 05:46:40 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 05:46:40 pm »
Is 9/16 slightly bigger than 14mm.
 Seems like that's what I used.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

S-PAutomotive.com