Author Topic: engine shuts off at idle - injection pump o-ring replacment  (Read 1179 times)

November 02, 2020, 02:01:02 pm

jrock

engine shuts off at idle - injection pump o-ring replacment
« on: November 02, 2020, 02:01:02 pm »
I changed the o-ring at the injection pump head because of a fuel leak. I did it while the pump was 'on' the car.  the car ran well for a fair amount of time (even 20-30 min).

for an unknown reason, the car shuts down when it idles.

It can idle for 10 min in my parking lot, then it shuts down, most of the time I can't turn it on right away and I need to wait for a few minutes, then it starts perfectly.

symptoms:
1) injection pump is after replacing the o-ring at the distributor's head. the leak is fixed. the operation was done when the pump was 'on' the car and it wasn't taken down from timing.
2) the car can run well when driving it around
3) the car shuts down at idle (when it runs in the parking lot or when I stop at a traffic light)
4) when it shuts down, I can hear the low-pressure fuel pump keeps running (i think its the low-pressure fuel pump)

the engine is a ASY371210 without turbo 1.9 64 HP
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:13:03 pm by jrock »

Reply #1November 02, 2020, 02:48:50 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

From what I can tell, your engine is a 1.9 non-turbo direct injection engine.  Maybe post a pic.  Electronic drive-by-wire engine management?  Any codes?  Any air in the fuel line going to the pump?

Reply #2November 02, 2020, 05:57:51 pm

jrock

hi there, thanks for your time

1) yes the engine is not the turbocharged version, its a naturally aspirated 1.9 diesel from 2005.

2) im including a picture of the engine and the injection pump:

the seal i replaced located where the red arrow is pointing:

3) the o-ring i replaced is shown in here:
    i changed the o-ring while the pump was connected to the timing belt. (the picture - that specific picture is from the internet)
    i put tension on the springs to keep the internal all together to avoid a failure while changing the o-ring.

now i THINK the pump is operated electrically from the computer unit. im not sure (its a seat cordoba 2005 manual and 64 HP version).
i dont think electricain has to do anything with it tho.

i get the vibe that something interputing the fuel. look at the symptoms i wrote in the first post (im talking more on number 3 and 4). 

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:01:59 pm by jrock »

Reply #3November 02, 2020, 07:03:10 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re:ASY engine shuts off at idle after replacing o-ring at the head of IP
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 07:03:10 pm »
Did you get the wire to the stop solenoid solidly connected?  Is it in good condition?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:56:18 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #4November 03, 2020, 02:48:14 am

jrock

yes i did. and the solenoid is connected properly.

i can think of few possibilities:
1) air is coming in. thing is i cant see from where, since i didnt take apart lot of stuff - only the pump head and the fuel lines.
2) i think i might have a fail in the ignition relay. that because sometimes when i try to turn on the engine - i can hear the starter trying to do his work' but the engine rumble and nothing happens. im not sure if the ignition relay alone can cause shut down when idling. what do you think?
3) lastly, for the past year i saw that my battery is unloading electricity (probably due to some minor short circuit) - it might affected the engine computer unit?