S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: My thirsty diesel  (Read 5501 times)

September 19, 2004, 09:06:06 pm

veritas137

My thirsty diesel
« on: September 19, 2004, 09:06:06 pm »
Car in question is an 86 Golf.  And no, it's not thirsty for diesel, it's water that it likes to drink.

I had some cooling issues that have since been resolved, but oddly enough it still consumes about a liter of water for every hundred miles of driving.  All the external leaks were fixed, no internal links that I can find.  Only thing that looks out of place is a slight leak on the front of the block.  So I'm guessing the head gasket is bad.  I'm not quit ready to do a headgasket change, and it looks like the previous owner may have tried some epoxy to seal it.  I'm a big epoxy fan and was thinking of cleaning everything up and putting some more on.

Anything wrong with this as a short term solution?  Also the car doesn't drip water while sitting and I couldn't see any water spraying out or anything.  Could there be another possible problem?

Tim
2003 Saab 9³ - hers
1999 Ford F250 - his
1986 VW Golf Diesel - his

Reply #1September 21, 2004, 06:53:05 am

Centurion

• Junior

My thirsty diesel
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 06:53:05 am »
I just saw this happen on one I drove -

When hot a crack opened up on the back side of the engine - because the engine was hot - it just smoked off - and becasue it was a pin hole - not much  - but it drained off enough to warp the head  when the owner[not me] was not paying attention.

By the time - it china syndromed - it drank stuff quickly - but I have to tell you that when I drove it - 60 miles or so - it acted good - normal heat - normal all else.

I can only figure that it was the owner who missed the signs -

So look hard - look often!

C
90 Jetta TD - 589,000km, 90 Jetta TD 448, FrankenJetta ...looking for a Can

Reply #2September 21, 2004, 01:01:43 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

My thirsty diesel
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 01:01:43 pm »
how does the oil look? milky at all? any swirls in the coolant reservoir?

a litre per 100km sounds like a lot... might be worth putting some dye in the coolant and shining a black light around the engine bay and under the front of the car in the dark if its really got you stumped. sounds like a HG to me! good luck  :)

Reply #3September 21, 2004, 03:40:14 pm

veritas137

My thirsty diesel
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 03:40:14 pm »
It's not water getting in the oil or vice versa.  I've seen that before and it was the first thing I checked.  Also no smoke or anything so it's not water getting into the cylinders.  Pretty sure it's just water coming out the front of the headgasket while the car is running.
Tim
2003 Saab 9³ - hers
1999 Ford F250 - his
1986 VW Golf Diesel - his