Author Topic: All, Weatherstripping Source ???  (Read 2776 times)

December 19, 2019, 08:39:39 pm

72malibu

All, Weatherstripping Source ???
« on: December 19, 2019, 08:39:39 pm »
My Rat has bleeding weatherstripping, seals, and gaskets. I am considering replacing the floor on both sides. Spare tire well is also rusting, but may just do flat steel for that.

If I'm going to do this work, it's going to be done right, which means I need to go thru and replace all those seals. Does anyone know where I can find full weatherstrip kits for 4-door MK1 Rabbit? Or even individually? But at a decent price?

I've found only one source so far (name with-held, I'm not going to bash 'em). Once I tallied it up, it was $1054.00! Nope. Not happening. Costs less for my Chevelle!

Appreciate any info anyone can give. Thank you.

Reply #1December 20, 2019, 07:11:03 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: All, Weatherstripping Source ???
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »
Posting the source you have found might be useful to others.  Thinking that their prices are higher than you want to spend is not 'bashing them'.  Others might find the parts worth the cost.  These cars have long been in the category of cheap transportation but are rapidly becoming collector cars.   

Reply #2December 20, 2019, 09:11:48 pm

72malibu

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:11:48 pm »
I stand corrected.

Mk1autohaus on ebay.

Reply #3December 20, 2019, 10:25:02 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 10:25:02 pm »
When dealing with cars as old as ours and finding quality specific parts it is just going to cost you.  If you want cheap, then hit a pick and pull and take all your luck with you in your tool box.  Don't forget the wheel barrow for transporting that heavy sucker.

I use MK1 and find their stuff is high priced but I want to put it on once and not have it fall off or apart in a year.  Their stuff will last as long as the originals or better.  30 plus is a heck of denominator when costing it out over the life of the product.

I still do a shop around for other things but sometimes they are only found in one place and if you want it you pay what they are asking. 

Reply #4December 20, 2019, 11:09:36 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 11:09:36 pm »
Seems like I've seen bulk weather stripping that just comes in a roll. May not be new old stock like MK1 Autohaus has but it might get the job done. It would be cheaper I'd be willing to wager.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #5December 21, 2019, 06:11:15 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:11:15 pm »
When it came to redoing the Gem Top on the Rabbit Pick up I found the channel strip I needed from these guys.  You will have to know the dimensions of the strip you are trying to replace in order to match it up but see if you can using this site.  Buy it by the foot or roll I would expect. 

A call to them might be warranted to get it right.  https://www.steelerubber.com/door-weatherstrip-by-the-foot

Best of luck, nobody likes a leaker.

Reply #6December 27, 2019, 12:58:46 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 12:58:46 pm »
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN