S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Ahu m- pump  (Read 5377 times)

October 03, 2019, 04:15:34 pm

gersgolfs

• Junior

Ahu m- pump
« on: October 03, 2019, 04:15:34 pm »
Hi folks , just checking to see if I could use a  pump from a GTD golf I think it’s from a 1990 car on a  Ahu engine. I’m new to diesels so any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1October 03, 2019, 04:17:28 pm

Bassfishingtwo

Re: Ahu m- pump
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:17:28 pm »
I’m assuming you’re talking about a 1.6td pump?

Reply #2October 03, 2019, 04:58:07 pm

gersgolfs

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 04:58:07 pm »
Sorry yes it’s a 1.6gtd

Reply #3October 03, 2019, 05:11:38 pm

Bassfishingtwo

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:11:38 pm »
So the older vw motor’s are IDI motor’s (indirect injection) where as your AHU motor is a TDI motor (direct injection). I’m sure you could probably make the motor start with a 1.6 pump but it wouldn’t run right. I’ve heard stories of people building these hybrid pumps and crazy things like that to run TDI’s but I’ve never paid it any mind really.
If you’re looking to run that AHU fully mechanical then do yourself a favor and just go buy a new pump to build the motor with. I choose to go with the Land Rover TDI pump but there’s other options you can make work.

Reply #4October 04, 2019, 02:10:45 am

gersgolfs

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 02:10:45 am »
Cheers mate, just checking as I have a spare Ahu engine and I picked up parts from a gtd engine and I thought they might work in the Ahu. I currently have an aaz engine in my cabriolet I’m just trying to see how to wire it up to get it running, any tips?Also  can any of the gtd parts be used on an aaz engine to give me a bit more power? Thanks again for your reply

Reply #5October 04, 2019, 02:13:27 am

gersgolfs

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 02:13:27 am »
Are you a keen fisherman by the way?

Reply #6October 04, 2019, 07:00:49 am

Bassfishingtwo

Ahu m- pump
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 07:00:49 am »
AAZ’s are awesome I had one in a rabbit before. Just couldn’t stand driving up to Quebec to get another motor and deal with customs and all that garbage. We don’t see many of those kicking around in Maine. As far as upgrades I turned the fuel up, shimmed the governor, and tuned the pump to where I wanted it and that thing was a rocket ship. Your 1.6 bits are good spare parts to hang on to for sure. I can’t remember what turbo come on each motor but I thought the 1.6 turbo was more desirable. Don’t quote me on that. I’m also not sure of this but the exhaust manifold and intake manifolds on the AHU are made for a intercooler to be used with them as a 1.6 and 1.9 are made to go straight from turbo to intake. I’ve wondered if the 1.6 or 1.9 manifolds would work on the AHU if they lined up it’d be much easier to run that motor with out an intercooler because I’m still working on making an intake on my MTDI swap. Wiring should be decently straight forward, I’d get a Bentley manual and go from there. I’ve never done a diesel conversion from a gasser so I couldn’t tell you exactly what that entails but I’d assume you’d need to wire in a custom glow plug relay (which is well documented), and a wire that has 12v of power when the key is on to the injection pump solenoid. That’s really all I can think of. The oil and coolant temp sensors should be relatively Simple to figure out. As long as you’re cabriolet is a CE1 car, for a CE2 car I have no idea I’ve never touched anything that “new” I’ve only messed with mark 1’s.

I do love fishing, I’ve basically made the jump over to fly fishing now and I’m working on logging my hours to become a USCG certified Captain so I can guide on salt water. We fish for striped bass most of the year. Maine cuts our season short though and then it’s back into the shop to work on the project.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:07:48 am by Bassfishingtwo »

Reply #7October 04, 2019, 08:00:56 am

gersgolfs

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 08:00:56 am »
Thanks for the informative reply,I bought the gtd bits for 50 euros so I’m not bothered if I can’t use them . I was thinking of putting an inter cooler on the aaz. The pipe work from the ahu was a front mount cooler set up so might make fitting easier , well that’s what I hope. Thanks again .

I love a bit of fishing myself.Heres a pic of a saltwater bass I caught many years ago I think it was about ten pounds or so . It took a small piece of squid I was beach fishing. I

Reply #8October 04, 2019, 08:01:40 am

gersgolfs

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 08:01:40 am »
Didn’t mean to frighten you with the scary picture

Reply #9October 04, 2019, 12:47:56 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 12:47:56 pm »
Just hitting some main points of the conversation...

The 1.9 (AAZ or AHU/1Z/AFN/ALH) intake ports are D-shaped.  The 1.6TD and earlier intake ports are oval.  They line up but the mismatch is not good and there is very little overlap to the gasket if they are used in a mismatched manner.

8v exhaust ports are all the same so exhaust manifolds all swap this way or that.

The intake of the ahu (or any intercooled VW) can be used with or without an intercooler.  There is not any characteristic of any of the VW intake manifold that requires it to be run with an intercooler.  There would be custom plumbing to run from whatever turbo you use to the intake inlet.

The 1.6TD injection pump will not give decent power on an AHU.

Land Rover 200/300 TDI pumps work great as a mostly bolt-on option.  The main mod needed is that the hole in the pump bracket needs to be enlarged.  There are other details in the FAQ and various other threads in the archives.

The various GTD bits will work fine with an AAZ (aside from the intake manifold due to the port mismatch).  The 1.6TD pump would give better performance than the stock AAZ pump assuming the stock AAZ pump has the 'joke pin' in the boost aneroid.  The GTD intercooling bits would be a nice upgrade.

I think that attacking other sentient creatures for fun is sick and twisted.

Put a shirt on, no one wants to see that ***.

Reply #10October 04, 2019, 02:05:57 pm

Bassfishingtwo

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:05:57 pm »
Just hitting some main points of the conversation...

The 1.9 (AAZ or AHU/1Z/AFN/ALH) intake ports are D-shaped.  The 1.6TD and earlier intake ports are oval.  They line up but the mismatch is not good and there is very little overlap to the gasket if they are used in a mismatched manner.

8v exhaust ports are all the same so exhaust manifolds all swap this way or that.

The intake of the ahu (or any intercooled VW) can be used with or without an intercooler.  There is not any characteristic of any of the VW intake manifold that requires it to be run with an intercooler.  There would be custom plumbing to run from whatever turbo you use to the intake inlet.

I think that attacking other sentient creatures for fun is sick and twisted.

Thanks for the clarification on the intake. I’m working on the plumbing on mine now and always thought it’d be easier if a 1.6 manifold would fit considering I’m not planning on running and intercooler.

As far as “sick and twisted” goes I’ve heard that before but definitely not in regards to my fishing. A lot of fly anglers and anglers in general are extremely active in environmental protection groups and practice safe catch and release methods. All but 1 of my fish this year are still swimming freely today, the other one sure tasted good. But hey to each is their own.

Reply #11October 04, 2019, 05:18:46 pm

gersgolfs

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 05:18:46 pm »
Thanks Libby for tech info , much appreciated .I was looking at the gtd parts to use in an ahu engine I have because I’ve heard about m-Tdi pumps fitted to later ecu working engines. I have aaz in my cabby so  it was just a general enquiry.Ive Also heard that parts from gtd can be used on other mtd engines. I’m new to diesels so I was just fishing for information, speaking of which I’m a keen angler and I love fish  .I have 4 sisters and two brothers plus my mum and dad and we had our dinner from that blessed fish. Yum , yum.As regards to my naked torso I know it’s inexcusable

Reply #12October 04, 2019, 05:45:29 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 05:45:29 pm »
The typical 1.6TD intake manifold has the pointless BOV added to it.  That was removed in ~'90 in the US with the 1.6ECOdiesels.  The 1.6ECOdiesel intake has the same casting as the AAZ intake manifold but the ports are the ovals.  The AAZ manifold is probably the simplest manifold to use.  The AHU manifold has the integral EGR valve.  The later manifolds (ALH, PD, etc..) need a bolt-on flange/inlet. 

Bear in mind that if humans ever encounter a more advanced species (either alien, AI, genetically altered, etc...) y'all are saying that the more advanced species will be justified in chasing/catching/eating humans simply for the fun of it.  For your own sake you might hope they take my view.  :)     

Fixmyvw.com