Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Timing Question  (Read 1486 times)

August 19, 2019, 11:39:24 pm

KenO

• Personal Text
    Just trying to survive
Timing Question
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:39:24 pm »
Hi Gang, have a question about timing my 81 1.6 standard diesel.  It all started when I decided to change the spark plugs... oops :D

Background - I was having lots of running /starting issues and decided to check the timing and it would not provide the same reading 2 times in a row.  Discovered the woodruff key was gone on the crank and the lower cam gear was not snug.  It took a while but replaced the gear with a new one and hand fit a new woodruff key.  It appears to be solid.

Now, I am timing it and can only twist my pump up to 88 with everything in proper alignment.  The bolts are maxed out in the holes and the top of the pump is rotated as close to the engine as I can get it.  The pump has a 95 stamped on top and I was trying to get it to this amount.  It cranked right up but I am trying to get the most efficiency I can and think about 95 is where it should be.  It does start the best it ever has and purrs after about 30 seconds of warm-up.

Here is my question, should I leave it like it is?  Here in Wy the air is thin and it gets chilly.  Also noticed when I pull out the advance cable about half an inch, it is about 95 and run it like that when running down the road?  Or is there another way or have another suggestion - like jumping the gear on the IP a tooth to get it where it needs to be with the cable pushed all the way in?

Just looking for advise and trying to learn something.

Thanks -
Kenster

1981 Rabbit Pickup, 1.6 Diesel, 5 speed
2003 Ford Powerstroke, 6.0 Diesel, 6 Speed
Lots of Subaru and Toyota 4Runner experience...
Work on anything on the farm...

Reply #1August 20, 2019, 01:03:10 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Timing Question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 01:03:10 am »
Hand That Man a beer and a cigar!!!!

…. like jumping the gear on the IP a tooth to get it where it needs to be with the cable pushed all the way in?

KenO,  OK you figured out there are no Spark Plugs I take it.

About the that timing, 88 mm is standard isn't it and you can run up to that 95 to 1.05 for performance I think.  Mine does best at 95.  Yeah, starts on a half a twist and purrs nice.  88 is for economy and emissions, elevation in WY might be better to let the cylinders fill as much as possible with air before squirting in the go juice.  Do a tank of fuel and figure the mileage, then bump it and do it again.  You might find you go back to the current setting.

Getting the pump to come up to 95 is probably going to take a tooth movement to get it there, but before you go moving it did you loosen up the four nuts on the back of the IP and try advancing it?  If there is a lot of tension on those nuts you don't get the full movement the IP can make with the belt set as it is.

Pulling out the cold start lever advances the pump timing but only at start up.  Once you get to a bit over 1200 RPM it doesn't affect the timing anymore. The dynamic advance takes over and you are really not driving around in an advanced capacity like if you were to actually have the timing set to 95.   

Fixmyvw.com