S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: fuel troubles with new motor  (Read 3299 times)

July 22, 2006, 03:36:37 pm

eli4a

fuel troubles with new motor
« on: July 22, 2006, 03:36:37 pm »
I just recently installed a new long block 1.6 NA motor in my 1981 vw pickup.  
I am not getting fuel to the injectors.  The injection pump is sucking up fuel, but not sending any to the injectors or even out the return line.  I took off the return line and also loosened the injectors unions to test this.  The pump and solenoid are new along with the head and block, so I don't know what to do next.  Maybe it just needs some fuel in the pump?  Any information would be great
Thanks,
-Eli
P.S.- And the pump was timed from the place where I bought the long block if you were wondering.  Thanks again.

Reply #1July 22, 2006, 05:09:05 pm

Doug

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 05:09:05 pm »
Put a positive jumper to the solenoid then crank with the fuel injector unions loosened. If no fuel then suspect the solenoid. You can also check for voltage at the solenoid with the key turned to run position. Check your fuel inlet side for fuel - crack the union to the pump to see if any leakge. Change fuel filter.

Reply #2July 24, 2006, 12:20:16 pm

Powjetta

• Junior

• Personal Text
    San Diego CA
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:20:16 pm »
Make sure your pump is full of fuel, right up to the top.  I took off the return line and filled it slowly with a small funnel and got a lot of air bubbles out.  Just dump it in the return line as it is the highest point.  Others have used a low air pressure on the fuel tank and got it filled.  And as Doug says make sure the stop solenoid isn't holding it up.
'86 jetta 2 dr Turbo diesel K24 - sold
'94 GMC 6.56TD - sold

Reply #3July 24, 2006, 04:49:17 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:49:17 pm »
On my car the stop solenoid doesn't get 12v when the car is cranking but it does when the key is in the "run" position.
Definitly run a constant power to the stop solenoid and see if that solves it
Tyler