Author Topic: Blue smoke after extended idle. Turbo?  (Read 4411 times)

September 11, 2004, 10:18:41 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

Blue smoke after extended idle. Turbo?
« on: September 11, 2004, 10:18:41 pm »
The TD in my pickup has been running flawlessly. Last thursday I drove to Canada to pick up my new WR450 Yamaha. At the border I sat in line at idle for over 30 min. When I passed and started to drive away I produced a huge white/blue smoke cloud. It continued for a mile slowly deminishing. Then for the next 300 miles occasionally when idling at a stop light I would leave a smaller cloud when I drive away. There seems also to be oil seeping out around the turbo to intake manifold but nothing in the airfilter indicating it is not blowby.

Could the turbo oil seals be leaking? Why only at idle? I just rebuilt the turbo 3,000 miles ago. New seals and bearings.

I'm hoping someone has had these symptpms before.
Thanks,
Larry

Reply #1September 26, 2004, 04:28:09 pm

andy2

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 04:28:09 pm »
I've got the same issue and its only been noticeable since I swaped turbos. I was comparing the two different turbos preformance, anyways the engine has been using more oil than usual and if I idle for any short time at all the blue smoke just pours out when I accelerate so to possibly condem the turbo I will be putting the other k24 back on and will definitly report back hopefully soon :lol:

Reply #2September 26, 2004, 04:42:11 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 04:42:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking it must have something to do with the low oil pressure when the engine is warm and at idle/ no boost. Maybe the seal on the intake side lets oil by into the intake. My intake is real oily but not the air filter or crankcase breather area. DanG! I just put new bearings and seals in this turbo too.  :cry:  Must have done something wrong.

Reply #3October 05, 2004, 07:20:48 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 07:20:48 am »
its probably from idleing for a long time.. Idling is not good for a diesel..it washes down the cylinder walls and lowers the temp...if you get stuck having to idle a lot boost your rpm to 1000or 1100rpm..much better for the engine...the blue smoke you saw was the cooler cylinders and the extra fuel from the excess idling...your  turbo is probably fine...just quit idling without raising rpm.....some older engines would actually "wet stack" from excess idling... much white smoke constant .. excess fuelwould actually seep thru theexhaust manifolds and people would thinkit was oil..ha..as the excess idling can glaze you cylinder wallls ..causeingpoor cyl sealing etc.. always good to get teh engine up to operating temp and keep it there...same with warmup in the  morning etc.. as soon as youget oilpressure raise the rpm upto 1000 or so it willwarm up easier and better or the  engine.
later
deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Fixmyvw.com