Author Topic: Finally  (Read 3156 times)

June 24, 2006, 02:59:52 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Finally
« on: June 24, 2006, 02:59:52 am »
i started doing the clutch job thurs nite,but i couldnt reassemble,because i 4got my tq.wrench at work,so i finished it tonite
the test drive was great
that 4 puck should have no problem holding the power now,its real grabby
i did a slightly hard launch from a light..man!,that thing is brutal(in a good way)didnt try it on the hiway in 4th-5th yet,but i think itll hold,i still gotta break it in some yet
thanks Dave from Passenger Performance for the 4 puck action
he is right though,no more coffee in the mk1 cupholder for the morning drive to work :shock: i may burn something important that i may need someday :wink:
ive done it before,and i dont like being a member of the Burnt Johnson Race Team(heh member) :roll:

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #1June 24, 2006, 05:42:27 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Finally
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:42:27 am »
What sort of clutch material does it have and is it sprung? I once used an unsprung Kennedy 6 puck in my Rabbit when it had the Arkay turbosystem on it. The clutch material was made of sintered iron and ate through the pressure plate and flywheel in about 4 months. I wasn't too happy about that. The car has a triple strapped Spec Stage 2 clutch these days which uses a sort of pucked kevlar friction surface. It was sketchy during break-in and slipped on me a few times but It eventually seemed to bed in. The dyno operator seemed to think it was slipping last time but if it was then it wasn't anything major. We'll see how it does when I get it back on the road with the air/water  :evil:

Reply #2June 25, 2006, 02:18:09 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Finally
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 02:18:09 am »
its sprung center(6 springs)
its metallic ,it looks like,or a gold/brass color(the pucks)
doesnt really matter though,its probably about the only thing that will survive,especially after this turbo swap
i took er out tonite+got on it good on the hiway a few times,i didnt feel any slippage,even bangin 3-4 and 4-5 shifts,it leaps on those shifts now,not slowly hook uplike it did
i usually drive it like a truck anyways,and never slip the clutchor anything,or do nasty clutch dumps
hee hee  as ive been gettin used to it,i was  taking off in a parking lot with the wheels cut,and i put it in 1st ,and let out  the clutch a little too fast,with no gas, i wasnt  in a hurry and as it sorta chattered   and grabbed ,i got a faint little chirp chirp chirp,almost like an interior panel rattelin,but it was tire swueakage,wierd man...hee hee i even stalled it at a light,ill get the hang of itsoon
Throttle cables ftw