Author Topic: Re: auto to manual swap on an a1 chassis  (Read 2770 times)

June 17, 2006, 02:24:47 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

Re: auto to manual swap on an a1 chassis
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:24:47 pm »
someone asked a while ago about the steps nessassary to swap in a manual transmission plus diesel engine into a car that orginally came with an automatic and gas engine. i forgot where the thread was and a search turned up nothing. sence i personally took on this swap i will add the things i learned.

the steering shaft needs to be replaced with a manual shaft. the auto shaft is short by about an inch or so.

also need to remove the heat shields from under the car. they interfere with the manual shifter linkage.

the auto steering rack has to be replaced with a manual one.  

drain the gasoline out of the fuel tank BEFORE removing the electric fuel pump. the easy way is to cut the fuel line, route it to a 5 gallon pail and apply power to the fuel pump. this pumps the gasoline tank dry. then add a gallon of diesel to the tank and slosh it around. drain this also. this helps to purge any residual gasolines from the tank.  you can re-use the oem steel fuel inlet and return lines which go from the tank to the firewall, but you must remove the fuel pump from the rear of the car and splice the appropriate diesel rated fuel lines in its place.

you also need to install the gas exhaust manifold on the diesel engine if you want to use the gas exhaust system.

dont forget to gut the cat converter or it will plug up real quick.

for glow plugs, if youre lazy like me, just bolt a external starter solenoid to the firewall to use for manually engaging the glow plugs. its a simpler swap than installing a glow plug relay and its easier. add a little button on the dash to engage the solenoid. i used a ford universal solenoid. it cost like $10.

hook the injection pump 12v hookup to the coil power wire of the auto wire harness. it works great right there. turn the key on and the pump had 12v.

the rest of it, motor mounts, axles, bla bla is self explanitory. i think my swap took about 2 weeks. but i only worked on it a few hours eash day.

Reply #1June 25, 2009, 12:56:37 am

fastguy69

• User+

Re: auto to manual swap on an a1 chassis
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:56:37 am »
How hard is it to swap the pedal assy under the dash?
One of these days..........