Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: smoked a dodge neon in a NA diesel... sort of  (Read 4598 times)

June 14, 2006, 10:29:40 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

smoked a dodge neon in a NA diesel... sort of
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:29:40 pm »
Well, I took the GTI on a road trip last weekend, and on the way back there is a place where the highway goes from 35mph through a little town, back to 55mph, right at the bottom of a pretty serious hill.  I stuck it in 3rd and floored it and figured everyone else in the world would promptly pass me, like usually happens even in my subaru which is a little faster than the rabbit. This is at 7,500 feet elevation too. But lo and behold, as I slowly accellerate up the hill, I actually have to pull into the left lane to pass a nice new silver dodge neon, apparently driven by someone who was soundly asleep.  I mean, getting passed by a NA diesel rabbit going up hill?   That's got to be embarrassing, right   :shock:     My engine temp kept rising, and I had to let off a bit before the top of the hill to keep it below 220, but I never did see the dodge neon again....   :roll:

'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #1June 14, 2006, 10:37:14 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:37:14 pm »
that's one thing I always loved about my n/a rabbits... they always seemed to accelerate at the same rate regardless of whether it was empty, 4 people, or tow-strapping a taurus wagon. (don't ask how I know that...  hehehe)
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2June 15, 2006, 05:42:19 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 05:42:19 pm »
i dunno about all that, i could definetly tell a giant difference when i had people in my car.  when it's filled it's like driving a god damn bus
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3June 15, 2006, 08:10:13 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:10:13 pm »
yea doctor thats wierd isnt it? my buddy had a mid 80s ford with an old na 6.9,it was slow as poo ,but it stayed the same in acceleration  towing a 8k pounds trailer too,strange,,,,
yea if these people know that they just got passed by a car that has as much hp as some bigger commercial lawn mowers,id be :oops:  too!!!
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #4August 30, 2006, 12:20:35 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 12:20:35 pm »
Passed a early 90's toyota sedan going up hill today.  This was on a steep hill that often kicks my truck into 2nd gear if I've got much weight on it.  I was in the rabbit, going about 45 or 50.  I threw it into 3rd at the bottom of the hill and started charging up it, loosing the speed the whole way.  About halfway up I'm keeping about 35 in 3rd gear and there's the toyota leisurely going up in front of me.  I start backing off on the pedal as I pull closer, because they're only going like 30 and there's no passing lane, but they see me coming, and pull right onto the shoulder to let me by.   I'm like, what the heck?  No one pulls over on a hill to let a NA diesel by.  But whatever, and I floor it again, and buzz right on by without slowing down.  Guess my grill guard at least intimidates small japanese cars, if not large SUV's...
picture of it in this thread
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4137&highlight=
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #5August 30, 2006, 05:13:01 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 05:13:01 pm »
sounds like they've driven an n/a diesel before, sympathy
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #6August 31, 2006, 01:26:06 pm

2mAn

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 01:26:06 pm »
well i was with my local veedub crew caravaning to a lake to bbq. we hit this one hill and about half the cars inthe caravan passed me in less than 10 seconds. embarassing but as soon as the hill started going downhill i was on their asses!!! people dont know how to take turns fast

Reply #7August 31, 2006, 03:43:37 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 03:43:37 pm »
Quote from: 2manVR6
well i was with my local veedub crew caravaning to a lake to bbq. we hit this one hill and about half the cars inthe caravan passed me in less than 10 seconds. embarassing but as soon as the hill started going downhill i was on their asses!!! people dont know how to take turns fast

amen, i always thought i was pretty wussy when it came to turns, i mean i'll take turns like a bat out of hell, but i always feel i can go faster, but when ever i've driven behind people who were trying to corner, they awlays suck and slow down alot, or just can't handle the turn at all

S-PAutomotive.com