Author Topic: 1981 toyota longbed diesel pickup  (Read 4542 times)

May 31, 2006, 11:04:18 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

1981 toyota longbed diesel pickup
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:04:18 pm »
Well, I got it.  A nice shiny red toyota diesel pickup.    Needs a little engine work....

The deal:
Cranks a while before it will start.  Lack of compression?  I need to do a compression test on it.  I'm getting a haze of blue smoke while driving, and some blowby pressurizing the crankcase.  Sounds like either stuck rings, or needs new rings.   Gave it an oil change and put a bunch of ring-ungummer additives in there, so we'll see if that does any good.

But when it's hot, it starts right away.  So maybe that leads credence to the bad glowplugs idea below too?

Puts out a cloud of white smoke when it finally starts.  Perhaps it needs new glow plugs?

The heater core leaks.

The brakes are really dodgy.  It seems that only the right front tire brakes, so it locks up.  I haven't driven it faster than 20mph yet because of this.  When I got it, the brake fluid resevoir was almost completely empty, so maybe there's air in the lines for one of the two circuits?  I'll try bleeding it if all the pads/shoes/cylinders look okay.

Not sure if the alternator is working.  The alternator, fuel filter, and timing belt lights are constantly one, and I couldn't find my voltmeter tonight to check whether it was really charging or not.

Aside from those issues, it seems to be a nice little truck.  Not bad for power for having a 2.2 NA engine (I haven't tried it on hills yet, and it is still empty).  Tranny gearing is odd -- 2nd gear is what you want to start out in most the time -- less strain than my GTI starting in first.  I guess 1st is just for climbing hills.

'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #1June 01, 2006, 09:31:19 am

shwartzbewithyou

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 09:31:19 am »
Or for pulling out old tree stumps :lol:

Reply #2June 01, 2006, 03:10:08 pm

mainer

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 03:10:08 pm »
They put those trays into the turbo gassers. If you pull it you wont have any truble selling it. Everyone wants them for their crawers. Theres a glow plug diagram on toyotadiesel.com somewhere.  The hard starts and white smoke seem like glow plug problems.
08 Duramax
12 Sportwagen TDi

Fixmyvw.com