Author Topic: Eat my smoke.  (Read 3418 times)

May 31, 2006, 08:24:22 pm

ODwyerPW

• Junior

• http://www.Espanglish.com.mx
Eat my smoke.
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:24:22 pm »
Nothing's worse than getting pinched.  You're in the right lane, quickly approaching a car in front you.  In the left lane next you, (aka passing lane) a car is barreling up the free way.  Out of courtesy, you give the right of way to the car passing before overtaking the vehicle ahead of you.  Of course, the car barreling in the fast lane gets a case of the nerves and doesn't pass you fast enough...and bam you hit the brakes, disengaging your cruise so that you don't achieve unity with the vehicle in front of you...you've been pinched.

About 10 years ago, I'm cruising up I-87 in Upstate New York through the Adirondack Mountains on my way to camp.  A few families were going.  There are a couple of steep passes that test a Diesel.  I was driving my 84 Volvo 760 Turbo Diesel (it has the VW 6 cyl 2.4TD, it qualifies).  I had just bought the car.  One fo my friends two kids wanted to come along with me, instead of their parents, because of the sheer novelty of riding in a car that was totally square, sounded weird, shook a bit at stop lights and had this cool smoke!

So we're heading up a very steep incline (2 or 3 miles long) when I get pinched by a mercedes convertible with a driver in the throws of a mid life crisis (he's 50, his passenger is 25, they're acting familiar).   Eventually he passes me.  I slowly overtake the car ahead of me and then prepare to pass the mid life crisis mercedes (he has since moved over to the right hand lane).  I overtake him carefully and slowly.  When I have a safe distant between he and I, I merge back and resume travel in the right hand lane as well.

Very soon after returning to the right hand lane, I mash the throttle to the floor on that same, very steep, incline.  The mid life mercedes is instantly lost in a cloud of black.  Immediately, one of the young boys with me belts out:  "COOL, YOU TOTALLY OVERSMOKED HIM G!"  I did not teach him that phrase, but was absolutely delighted to hear it pass his lips!  Once the smoke disappated we turned on the European passing light.  We laughed about that the rest of the way to camp!

83 Rabbit LS Turbo Diesel

Reply #1June 01, 2006, 03:29:39 am

Maarten

• Veteran

Eat my smoke.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 03:29:39 am »
Smokin'  8)
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #2June 09, 2006, 03:38:37 pm

zagarus

• Veteran

Eat my smoke.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 03:38:37 pm »
european passing light? :?:
Project 1.9TD Jetta Coupe Completed. Back in action!

Reply #3April 26, 2008, 10:16:50 am

ODwyerPW

• Junior

• http://www.Espanglish.com.mx
Eat my smoke.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 10:16:50 am »
yes, but no one knows what those are for.  You see soccor Moms with Volvo XC70 Wagons driving around with the Passing Light and Rear Fogs on all of the time.
83 Rabbit LS Turbo Diesel

Fixmyvw.com