Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: FS: Audi diesels  (Read 6268 times)

May 21, 2006, 05:05:45 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

FS: Audi diesels
« on: May 21, 2006, 05:05:45 am »
Hi, a good friend of mine called me up a while ago and asked if I wanted the two Audi diesels in his backyard.  One is a 1980 N/A with 5-speed manual transmission, and the other is a 1983 turbo diesel with automatic.  I really don't want to mess with restoring 5000s, but I'm hoping that at some point in the future I'll find a nice Audi 4000 Quattro to do a conversion on.  So I took the TD engine, instrument cluster, and downpipe.  What's left is still up for grabs.

Don't be deceived by the pictures.  The bodies aren't in as good of condition as they look.  However, at least two of the wheels on the TD are pristine (TDs had gold wheels), and so are the interior door panels (I love the black/gold/brown checkered pattern on the TD).  I'm told that the engine in the '80 runs very well.  My friend is a diesel fanatic, and sees to the mechanical needs of his cars.  Also, I don't know if the odometer on the '80 is accurate.  The odometer says 47K, but my friend mentioned something about it having 104K.  Either way, it's still low miles.  As you know, the 1.6 diesels respond well to light turbocharging, so I'd imagine the 2.0L 5 cylinder would as well.

As far as I know, the '80 runs just fine.  I personally wouldn't try to restore either of the cars, since there's a fair amount of rust on each, and lots of scratches, dings, etc.  I would just use them for parts.  They still have many good parts on them such as the engine in the N/A, transmission in the N/A (I think the automatic in the TD is damaged), A/C pumps, P/S pumps, misc. interior pieces, axles, radiators, brakes, some body panels, windows, etc.

The interiors in both are also in generally poor condition.  I also had to get agressive (read "saws-all") while removing the engine from the TD.  I ended up cutting out some of the sheet metal behind the grill, so please keep that in mind.  The junk yard isn't going to give my friend much for these cars, so I told him that as a favor, I'd put them on one of the diesel forums and try to get a little bit more out of them.  He didn't want to see them go to waste.

So here's the scoop.  The '80 can be had for $500, and the '83 TD can be had for $100.  Again, the TD has no motor.  (I just threw in the picture so you could see what it looks like.)  This money will go directly to my friend, and I won't see any of it.  I'm doing this as a favor to him for giving me a chance to have them in the first place.  The only stipulation is that the cars must be picked up and hauled away.  I don't want him to have to hassle with shipping them or anything.  Nor would I like to part them out.  However, I am an enthusiast, and I know that these parts are hard to find.  If there's something you just have to have, let me know and I'll see what I can do.  Of course, once someone has put down some earnest money on one, I won't be able to take any parts off of it.  Being an enthusiast is also the reason why they're not on eBay.  I wanted the people who hang around in the forums and really love these cars to have the first chance.  If I don't get any responses in the next couple of weeks, I may put them on eBay though.

If you want them, come trailer or tow them home.  They are in Pleasant Grove, Utah (84062).  I'm not sure what kind of interest there will be in these.  But what I don't want is an "I'm First!" type of response, and then have the person not do anything further.  Read the description, ask questions, and when you're serious about purchasing one, you can PayPal a small non-refundable earnest money deposit ($10) to me to reserve your place.  You can pay the rest with cash when you come pick one up.  If you aren't able to pick them up within TWO weeks, your earnest money will be forfeited, and the next person in line who has expressed interest will have a chance.  I'm doing this primarily (but not exclusively) on a first-come-first-served basis.  However, if you live in BFE, and I don't really think you'll be able to pick them up in a timely manner, I may consider someone closer, because I don't want them sitting in his field for very much longer.

To get in contact with me, simply reply to this thread.  It will be used as common ground so that everyone who's interested gets a fair chance.  If you have some personal information you would like to communicate, PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address.  I've never used my PM before, so make sure you post to this thread that you sent me something, so I can confirm that it's working.  Thanks,

Jeremy

'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #1May 21, 2006, 09:17:10 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:17:10 am »
if you were closer i would want one ..oh  well ny to utah with gas or diesel prices so high  is too far for me ..ohio is the limit hehe i have driven to upper michigan for a eco diesel engine that ended up as junk ha...
later
deo

Reply #2May 24, 2006, 02:34:33 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:34:33 am »
Well, either nobody has a need for a 5-cylinder diesel, or the price is too high.  Don't these things bolt into eurovans or something?  I'd probably try putting it in my Rabbit if the transmission would bolt up.  How about $300 for the '80 and $50 for the '83?  By the way, my friend thinks the '80 has closer to 75K miles, not 100K.  Thanks.
'15 WRX

Reply #3May 24, 2006, 09:17:26 am

shwartzbewithyou

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:17:26 am »
I'm going to post this link on the Biodiesel/veg pages.  They are a little more wide spread with the manufacturers that they'll buy.  This page is possibly a little too dedicated to VW's for this.  I'll pop it over there and you may get a better response.

Reply #4May 24, 2006, 11:22:45 am

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:22:45 am »
If you were closer I could find them homes :(

By the way, LOVE the hood prop, very 'MacGyver' :lol:

Reply #5May 24, 2006, 09:00:24 pm

lyeinyoureye

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:00:24 pm »
Hot damn, I've only seen one other audi diesel for a better price. And two for $350 is hard o beat. Too bad it'd cost me at least $300 in gas to pick 'em up. :(

Reply #6May 24, 2006, 10:38:44 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:38:44 pm »
Quote from: MacGyver
If you were closer I could find them homes :(

By the way, LOVE the hood prop, very 'MacGyver' :lol:

Thanks, I made sure to choose one that would match the color of the car. :)
'15 WRX

Reply #7May 26, 2006, 03:41:16 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:41:16 pm »
Led here from a biodiesel classifieds post...

Don't suppose that TD automatic has a tachometer as part of the instrument cluster, does it?

I'm putting a 2.0L TD 5-cyl in a Syncro, so I'm looking to replace the tach to match the engine so it's actually accurate. I figure you probably won't want to start parting up the whole running NA car, so...

Reply #8May 26, 2006, 08:34:31 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 08:34:31 pm »
Actually, I took the instrument cluster with tach when I pulled the TD motor.  It looks really cool.  I don't really need it though, so I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping.  As payment, you'll have to give me a ride in the syncro TD! :lol:
'15 WRX

Reply #9May 26, 2006, 10:07:52 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:07:52 pm »
Sweet deal!

PM me and we'll work something out. Dunno when I'll be on your side of the country (I live in SC), but when I make it there I'll honor that deal!

It'll be a pretty nice ride, too. Sapphire blue, redone/updated trim, the Audi TD under the hood and a regeared five speed behind it. Already working on upgraded brakes, as well as working with a friend to put a modern AC system in it. Modern brand new cars?  Who needs 'em? ;)

Reply #10June 01, 2006, 09:14:11 am

shwartzbewithyou

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 09:14:11 am »
See the hookup I created!  I think I deserve some sort of remuneration :lol:

Reply #11June 01, 2006, 10:58:22 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:58:22 am »
Actually, I do appreciate it, thanks.  Why don't you reward yourself by taking of the these cars off my hands! :D

Here's something to consider:  What if a person were to take an Audi 5000 turbo (gas), and simply drop this 5 cylinder diesel engine into that vehicle?  I'm guessing you could use the manifolds/turbo/down pipe/intercooler and everything else off of the gas car.  Then you'd have a turbo diesel.  The only possible problem I see is that the wastegate might get in the way of where the vacuum pump goes.  Someone needs to do this, especially in a quattro!  If I can't get rid of this car soon, I'll probably take the N/A motor too.
'15 WRX

Reply #12June 07, 2006, 11:50:28 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 11:50:28 pm »
About to go to eBay...  C'mon, somebody buy these.  I understand the 5-cylinder can even fit in a Vanagon with the proper bellhousing, cross-member, etc.  Then bolt cheap 5000 turbo manifolds and turbo onto it and have a turbo-diesel.
'15 WRX

Reply #13July 25, 2006, 09:43:25 pm

Jeremy

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 09:43:25 pm »
I was wondering if you still had the '80 NA motor, if so would you be willing to ship it, if so how much for the motor for just the motor?  I work at an auto wrecker, and as such will look into shipping, brokerage and the like.  

Thanks

Jeremy

Reply #14July 26, 2006, 02:04:13 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 02:04:13 am »
Hey, I'm Jeremy too.   :) I wish you would have gotton in touch with me sooner.  I've pretty much decided to take the engine for myself.  I talked myself into turbocharging it with parts from a 5000 CS turbo, since no one else seemed to want to. :?
'15 WRX

S-PAutomotive.com