S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Two problems  (Read 4497 times)

May 17, 2006, 08:27:09 pm

1slowvw

Two problems
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:27:09 pm »
Hey guys, wow its been a over a month sense my last troubleshooting post so i guess im getting better at this fixing stuff business. Anyway just so you know my car is a 1995 golf TD 1.9 AZZ. and these are my problems which I would like help with.
First off my car doesent seem to be getting particularly good fuel milage about 700km to a tank and this is shifting at 2500rpm. I just replaced my turbo and my air filter is clean I also get the smell of fuel when I sit idling for a long time.
Secondly I replaced my heater core over the march break(right before my engine let go) and now everytime I run my heater I smell burnt. anyway if you guys to help me with eather of these I would really apreciate it.
1SlowVW

Reply #1May 17, 2006, 11:47:37 pm

LeeG

• Veteran

Two problems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:47:37 pm »
run my heater I smell burnt

made that mistake too.  the new cores are treated with some kind of corrosion protection.  the thing to do is a good soak in hot water before it goes in.  The smell will go away after a while though

get the smell of fuel when I sit idling

have you checked the flexible return lines from each injector for leaks?
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #2May 18, 2006, 09:09:51 am

shwartzbewithyou

Two problems
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 09:09:51 am »
My heater core smells because when the old one let go it sprayed the inside of the heater box with coolant, so it is still evap'ing off 3 months later.

For the mileage I would take part of his advicec and check all of the injectors in total.  I had 3 out of 4 leaking and it was pitiful mileage.  i was getting 450km per tank at one point.  I ran some good quality diesel injector cleaner and it actually stopped 90% of the problem.  I figure the injectors were gettign clogged with crud adn thus creating alot of back pressure on the lines  so the return lines were leaking as well as the joint between the line and the injector base.  
After that all i had to do was change one line that had a hole in it and it fixed the prob.

Good injection cleaner will work.  BTW I'm currently getting 700km/h on a regular basis.  What were you getting?

Reply #3May 18, 2006, 11:18:15 am

LeeG

• Veteran

Two problems
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:18:15 am »
car in signature has averaged 5.78 litres per 100 km over the last 150,000 km or so (and 2 tenths of a litre of lube oil /100km too  :(  ).   240km round trip commute through vancouver and out the other side, so a combination city and highway.  Driving style was more attuned to getting there than saving fuel....pedal to the metal and shift when it hits the govener!.
I typically filled up at 700km as that worked out with the commute, I have gone 800+ km on a tank, Never worry about pushing it to 750.
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #4May 18, 2006, 11:33:10 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

Two problems
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:33:10 am »
how big is your tank lee?
sounds like you have similar driving habits/style and the same engine as me. 650km consistantly, 700km if i'm feeling lucky. 40L rabbit tank.

poor fuel economy is a tough problem to diagnose online because it could be one (or many) of a number of problems causing it. general tune up and maintenance items, wheel bearings, tire pressure/size, alignment, heavy foot, the list goes on and on...

if you want to go fishing for better mpg, i'd search the topic here and in other forums and address any issues that come up that you have not yet addressed. start with the obvious first, leaky injectors and such.

good luck :)

Reply #5May 18, 2006, 04:22:43 pm

LeeG

• Veteran

Two problems
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 04:22:43 pm »
how big is your tank lee?

40 litres I believe.  I can check my mileage records at home and see what the max I have put into it is.

edit:  most I have ever pumped into it was 46.6l but I didnt get very far on that tank, it was just before I replaced a front wheel bearing that was sooo bad I was wearing ear plugs!   I would say that 700km=40liter fill from my records. /edit

Certainly nothing exceptional about the condition of the engine, oil burning, lotsa blow by, black smoke on accasion...I doubt injectors are in particularly good shape.  Timing set to the spec in Bently as exact as I could get it....90,000km on current t-belt.  

5spd, 13 or 14" tires depending on season, usually run ~32 PSI typically a tool box and some computer junk in trunk and just me in car.  No roof racks or other protrubances.
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #6May 18, 2006, 05:51:41 pm

1slowvw

Two problems
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 05:51:41 pm »
thanks for the responses guys. will definatly invest in some good injector cleanor and if someone could suggest a brand or good product I would really apreciate it. And as for the heater core well i hope its just coolant evaporating and il continue to run the heater with the windows open and hope it goes away.

Reply #7May 19, 2006, 08:54:04 am

shwartzbewithyou

Two problems
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 08:54:04 am »
Quote from: 1slowvw
thanks for the responses guys. will definatly invest in some good injector cleanor and if someone could suggest a brand or good product I would really apreciate it. And as for the heater core well i hope its just coolant evaporating and il continue to run the heater with the windows open and hope it goes away.

That's the best way to do it, just burn it out.  It's not like at home where you'll be paying for the heat, it's free for the taking :wink: