S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery - Biodiesel bit  (Read 3578 times)

April 30, 2006, 07:02:37 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

"Dirty Jobs" on Discovery - Biodiesel bit
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:02:37 pm »
If you've never seen the show, the host goes and works a day on some really nasty jobs, like city sewer cleaning, etc... well he did a bit today on collecting waste vegetable oil (and cleaning the fryer) and then went to this guy's barn where he had a full biodiesel reactor.  Showed the process quite well, and without getting too technical, did a lot of promoting on the fuel.  They guy had four diesel powered vehicles, a bio-powered garage heater, and a bio electric generator.  Pretty cool!  Of course, the guy had at least one VW, a newer Passat wagon.  Worth a watch, as the show is quite good even when not promoting diesel.  :)

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49

81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #1May 23, 2006, 06:50:10 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

"Dirty Jobs" on Discovery - Biodiesel bit
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:50:10 am »
I watched it this weekend.  I taped it so I could rewind it just in case there was something I wanted to see in detail.  He did do a good job explaining it and not going into great detail.  One thing I thought was odd was he didn't wash his fuel.  From everything I have been reading you don't have to but it is better if you do. It burns way cleaner that way and less problems with fuel filters from what I understand.  If anyone is interested go to Discovery.com and look up Dirty Jobs and the TV schedule. I'm sure it will be on again.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #2May 24, 2006, 09:54:50 pm

VW Scully

• Junior

• Not Quite Tom Riddle's Diary
BioDiesel :)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:54:50 pm »
Hey;
I didn't see it but heard about it. Apparently he did some things not quite right, but since I didn't see it, I can't comment ;).
However, re. washing fuel. I have been making BioDiesel for over a year now and I don't wash; I let it settle over several months and then decant the fuel off the top, filter it again and then put it in my car and drive away :).

However, that does take a long time to end up with the same result as washing (i.e. removing soap and residual methanol.)
Here's a pic of my finished fuel after it has sat for several months; I added some water; shook the crap out of it  :roll:  and it still cleared up nicely indicating that the soaps have settled out.

Anyway, I will be washing this summer though so I can use my fuel sooner as I plan to run B100 this year; (I've been running B20 to B50).
hth :)
Tara aka VW Scully
**1981 Rabbit Diesel L, Biodiesel driven: 'the Bio-Bunny' **
Advocate for Young Adult Cancer Research & Support: I'm too Young for This!!
http://www.i2y.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~