General Information > Troubleshooting

Source for proportioning valve seals

<< < (2/6) > >>

ORCoaster:
Well some of you are probably mumble I knew that, but the experiment with the O rings was a fail.  They do not allow passage of any amount of fluid.  So I will have to eyeball the four seals I have, find the best two and try them to see if they make the valve do right.  Back in a few days perhaps with a report. 

TylerDurden:

--- Quote from: ORCoaster on March 08, 2019, 11:25:24 pm ---...they just expected people to go buy another.  We can't do that anymore for our 40 year old cars now can we...
--- End quote ---
FWIW, PP says they still stock the MK1 & MK3 proportioning valves...

https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-mk1-brake-proportioning-valve-15346.html

ORCoaster:
Last time I looked at PP the picture was of the older version that is in back of the axle.  I have the newer 81 style that is down on the front drivers fender.  Might need to call and get a better description if my rebuild using the best of the four seals I have available to me doesn't work well. 

At least I got it all clean inside and the little red pistons are not sticking on the o rings anymore.  Hope that it does OK. 

fatmobile:
 There's no picture in that link but it says it's for the early ones.
 You can get those for cheaper than $200 lots of places, last time I looked.

ORCoaster:
I actually had a used one sent to me from a guy that has lots of cars and a few trucks.  Cost me all of 22 bucks shipping included.  It just came with the caveat that it might not be any better than the one I already had.  And sure enough the piston was jammed up and the spring compressed down all the way.  And those are pretty solid springs.

I cleaned it up and was able to use one of the seals in it as it was better than one I had.  Seems that when the piston sticks on the spring, or is it the other way around?  The seal gets smashed into the piston from the backside and deforms it.  Makes it about a mm bigger and thus it becomes useless to keep fluid from going either way. 

Going to get some time tomorrow I hope to check for performance on the rebuilt component. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version