General Information > Troubleshooting

Source for proportioning valve seals

<< < (6/6)

fatmobile:
 Are you paying attention to how the old seals were sitting before taking them apart?
 It's been so long since I took one apart and have been too distracted these last couple days to dig into the brake stuff bucket.

ORCoaster:
Well, my problem was that it was a year ago that I tore the valve apart and the seals were one mushy mess down in there.  So no way to know what was what and how it was orientated. 

When I got a second valve, hoping to get better sealing it too was nasty.  So those got cleaned off, bagged up, and thrown in the cupboard.  Then along comes the reseal kit information and I am like, great I can finally pull the one off the car and swap in a rebuilt one.  I should have pulled the one on the truck, noted how it was put together, and then rebuilt but I didn't have the time to do that.  I had time to rebuild one weekend and wait for better weather. 

That happened a couple of weeks ago and I just swapped them over hoping for the best.  I did look at various forums and the Muscle Car site where I bought the kit.  They had some pictures to look at so I tried it that way.  But putting good seals in the bad valve body didn't help any and my success was nil if not worse once I put in half a day getting it in and bled and all. 

Now knowing what I know I rebuilt another valve and will try it when the weather gets nice.  Till then I am driving the hybrid Pickup and enjoying the ride and in-town mileage. 

fatmobile:
 oh, quite a journey to finally get good brakes.

This project is moving up my list, the brakes on (Pa)tina are a little mushy.
 I have been hoarding these valves.
 Seems like every time I worked on someone's rabbit brakes, I'd lose another one of mine.
 Their valve or seals would be bad.
 Sometimes I could clean them up and get one working but usually I'd have to dig into my parts hoard.

But I still have some left so I can rebuild a couple, then swap one in.

I like to take the car out to the gravel road, drive slow then hit the brakes and see how they slide.
 See if all the wheels are helping to stop,.. evenly.

ORCoaster:
You are where it gets cold enough for snow are you not?  That might be better to use than a gravel road.   A big flat parking lot perhaps. 

fatmobile:
 Oh yeah, in the winter I don't have to go far to find a slick spot to test the brakes on.
Or most winters anyway, I can use the street.

But gravel allows me to be going a little faster and see how the tires grab and when.
 Sometimes a slick road doesn't grab them enough, it doesn't pull on them and test the wheels stopping ability.
 And you don't have to be going very fast to have the prints from the rear tires run over the tracks of the front.
 making it hard to see where they locked up.

I'm about three blocks from gravel road.
 I don't do it often but sometimes wonder what that old guy thinks about me
driving slowly down his road and locking them up,
getting out to check then doing it again with another walk around.
 Or what the next person thinks about the odd tracks in the road, ha.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version