S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Wastegate Problems  (Read 2143 times)

August 23, 2004, 03:39:55 am

CaddyTD

Wastegate Problems
« on: August 23, 2004, 03:39:55 am »
Hello all!  New to this forum but excited at all the expertise here and looking forward to reading up on all this stuff.  

Anyhoo, I recently rebuilt a TD out of a Quantum and installed it  in my Caddy.  I replaced all the pertinent parts including trading turbo stuff with a friend wanting the Quantum stuff for his Dasher for Jetta stuff.  

Once it was all together, it started fine but now all I have is a whinning restrictive exhaust.  I suspected the wastegate since the blow off valve didn't even hav a chance to work.  So, this is what I am wondering.  While I have the turbo off, and as I read through other, it looks like the best thing to do to be able to have control over the boost is to delete it somehow.  What is be best way to delete it?  I am running the stock Garret turbo setup.  

I will also be installing a boost gauge and EGT gauge (I have it, just need to install it) along with the oil press. gauge, oil temp gauge and volts gauge I already have (and keeping the oil idiot light) I believe I will be well informed of the engine performance.  

LMK on the wastegate deal as I would really like to get this thing running soon!!

Dave

1977 Rabbit 2dr Gas
1980 Dasher Diesel 2dr Ragtop
1980 VW Pickup Hot Rod
1980 Audi 5000S Diesel
1985 BMW 524td (Turbo Diesel)

I can FIX your broken speedo FOR GOOD!

My shop: VW Performance in Olympia, WA

"Stupidity should be painful"

Reply #1August 24, 2004, 07:00:41 am

Centurion

• Junior

Wastegate Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 07:00:41 am »
From what you describe, your machine is apart - hard to diagnose it that way.

I have an engine with low power - and just cut the steel hose going to the wastegate - and put a line and air guage to read boost pres.

I left the Blow of valve in place cause my head is dainty - needs gasket and bolts.

If your wastegate is broken - IE spring shot - change it now! - otherwise - it is a tune while running situation.

Cheers- C
90 Jetta TD - 589,000km, 90 Jetta TD 448, FrankenJetta ...looking for a Can

Fixmyvw.com