Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Very little boost on my mTDI ALH Vanagon install

<< < (2/17) > >>

Zeitgeist:
Thanks, I assume I'll need to remove the crimped collar on that bolt, correct?  Is there a preferred method for removing this without buggering up the threads?

libbydiesel:
There's usually a bit of added adjustment available before removing the collar but for a significant change, it will need to be removed.  It is actually tack welded on, so the threads are already buggered at the welds.  :-(  The easiest way I've found to remove the collars is to use a sharp punch right between the collar and the bolt inline with one of the tack welds.  It will usually crack the weld.  Then pliers to pull it off.  Usually there is still more than plenty of adjustment available even before the buggered threads come into play with the locknut.

libbydiesel:
Two coolant pressure tanks?

Zeitgeist:
Thanks for all the helpful advice.  You were instrumental in assisting me to set up the pump.  The second tank is for the intercooler.  There are two heat exchangers sitting up under the floor on the driver side.  The grey box under the package tray contains the relays for the pump and fan...and glow relay.

Other than the low power issue, I'm really pleased with how well this install has performed.  And with the exception of a few coolant leaks due to inattentive oversights, everything seems to work as designed. The intake is noisy, but the exhaust is fairly quiet.  I wired up the gauges today, but didn't have a chance to drive it yet.         

libbydiesel:
Ah, intercooler.  Of course.  Glad to hear you got it running.  I'm sure you will get the boost issue resolved one way or another.  Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it might take a different turbo, though.  More fuel will make the larger turbo spool faster but you might end up seeing excessive smoke and overly high EGTs before you get it where you would like it to be.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.  Keep posting progress.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version