Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Very little boost on my mTDI ALH Vanagon install

(1/17) > >>

Zeitgeist:
I just got my ALH install completed in the last week, but even though it starts and runs very well, it just won't produce any boost above about 3.5psi.  The power output is on par with what I imagine an NA 1.9L diesel would provide, which is adequate around town, but woefully not up to the task on hills or the freeway. 

Here's a pic:

The turbo is a k14 from a 3.0L OM606 that's going into my '87 300TD and only has about 74k on it.  The intake is a very short run, and in fact much shorter than the MB donor.  I've checked the wastegate preload (it's a pressure actuator) and ensured that the wheel turns freely with no wobble.  I was expecting the turbo to be laggy, but not to fail to produce any appreciable boost.  I'm kinda at a loss here.  Thoughts?

Zeitgeist:
I should mention that this is a pump from a RR 300TD--11mm head. 

The engine is from an '01 Jetta automatic, and still has the stock injectors. 

libbydiesel:
The difference between 3.0l and 1.9l is fairly dramatic and the exhaust flow and consequently boost would be proportional.  Do you have EGT gauge installed?  If EGTs/smoke are not unreasonable I would increase the max fuel.  More fuel = more heat = more boost.

Zeitgeist:
Thanks.  I'll work on finalizing the aux. gauge cluster install today and report back.  The wiring is run up front, but the cluster isn't connected yet.  I'll also do some research on how to turn up the fuel on a VE pump.  I've only done that on inline MB pumps in the past.   

libbydiesel:

Max fuel screw is circled in red.  It should have a 13mm locknut on it.  The fuel stop solenoid is really easy to touch with the wrench and is typically an unfused circuit, so having the key off is wise.  Turn the max fuel screw in CW to increase fuel.  It is quite sensitive.  1/8th turn is noticeable.  After increasing max fuel you might need to lower idle. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version