Author Topic: Intercooler going in  (Read 2180 times)

August 20, 2004, 11:47:21 pm

1985JettaTD

Intercooler going in
« on: August 20, 2004, 11:47:21 pm »
i have lost my driver license for a short while due to speeding and i am unable to drive my car. i thought that now would be a good time to finally put my intercooler on. i have a intercooler out of a Saab 900. i am placing it right infront of the rad on the drivers side. my plan is to move the rad back as far as it can go on driver side and try to get the cooler and a small fan in there. the one question that i have for the time being is the 90 bend on top of the intake manifold can that be turned around so that it is facing the driver side? i have seen on most of pics of peoples set up that they having it facing that way and i wanted to know if that can be done with out any mods to it? also any pics u have of how u moved your rad forward would be awsome!
thanks for the the help!  :D

Reply #1August 21, 2004, 10:31:09 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Intercooler going in
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 10:31:09 am »
Yep - just undo the two 13mm nuts, give the "El" on the intake a light to medium whack with a rubber hammer to upset the "RTV" silicone seal, and it will pop loose.  Then it can be rotated 180 degrees and re-installed.  One caveat is the small line going to the boost enrichment device will be rotated around to the back of the El, so you'll need to figure out something for that.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

S-PAutomotive.com