S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Transplanting a 1.9 AHU TDI on a 91 Westfalia automatic  (Read 825 times)

October 23, 2017, 11:51:07 am

flyboyaviaqtor

• View Profile
Transplanting a 1.9 AHU TDI on a 91 Westfalia automatic
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:51:07 am »
ewB here!! Can the the 1.9 AHU TDI be transplanted to my 91 Westfalia automatic? It was installed before on another westfalia with a mechanical pump, and a 5spd manual.

Reply #1October 23, 2017, 01:42:46 pm

libbydiesel

• Veteran

• View Profile
Re: Transplanting a 1.9 AHU TDI on a 91 Westfalia automatic
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:46 pm »
Sure.  No problem.  I have a '91 with ALH but the AHU would be easier.  Kennedy adapter plate, 83+ diesel vanagon carrier bars, oil pump, oil pan, etc...  Use the TDI starter adapter (westyventures).  You'll want at least the euro 3.73 R+P for the auto trans or better yet the custom 3.3 from Country Homes.  I currently have the 3.73 and the gearing is still too short IMO. 

As an aside...  My long-term plan is to install a Porsche 4hp22hl tiptronic from a 90's 964.  I already have the trans and plan on using the compushift standalone controller.  That's a labor intensive (some frame rail modification for mounting, custom flex plate, starter adapter) and expensive conversion (compushift+trans) but I will end up with the same first three speeds and an additional high gear AND a lockup TC resulting in a loping 2600 rpm @ 75mph with a trans that was made for a stock vehicle pushing 4X the hp/torque than the stock vanagon.   
Use, abuse or ignorance of any information is at your own risk, confirmation or refutation is your own responsibility, no further 'proof' will be given, take it or leave it, YMMV,terms subject to change without notice, avoid contact with eyes or skin, contents known to cause cancer in California

S-PAutomotive.com