S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: WTB: Audi 5000 diesel and 4000 quattro parts for Vanagon 5-cyl conversion  (Read 3189 times)

March 12, 2017, 01:46:54 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do a 5-cylinder TD swap into a Vanagon, and I'm looking for a few parts.  Specifically, the adapter from a naturally aspirated Audi 5000 diesel intake manifold that adapts from the 3 inch round air box hose to the square hole on standard vintage VW manifolds (part number 069 129 637).

I'm also looking for fuel lines to/from the pump (the kind that go to the fuel filter and return to the tank), and even the pressure pipes if you have a really nice set.  Rear cam/fuel pump sprockets in good condition are also needed.

I also need a front engine mount bracket from an Audi 4000 Quattro (part number 035 260 899), and 5-cylinder intake manifold from the same car.

Please let me know if you have any of these things, or any other interesting 5K diesel stuff.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:38:42 pm by rabbid79 »

'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #1March 20, 2017, 10:53:36 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

You might reconsider your engine choice.  The 1Z/AHU/AFN 4-cylinder TDI engines can fairly easily be tuned to power levels that will destroy the vanagon transmission.  They can be run using a mechanical TDI injection pump for easy installation.  They are more readily available than the 5-cylinder TD engines, will get better fuel economy (unless you are planning 5-cyl TDI), and will be much easier to fit.  Regardless, good luck with your project.

Reply #2March 20, 2017, 08:42:39 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

Thanks.  You're right about the power levels of those engines, but the one thing they lack is rev-ability.  The 2.0 TD 5-cylinder will be a good match for most factory Vanagon transmissions, with no need to rebuild for better gear ratios.  Also, this engine will produce more heat than the TDIs, which means I won't need any hokey coolant glow plugs or other schemes for adding heat to the engine like some TDIs use.  This should be especially helpful when trying to heat a vehicle this size.

I think the swap will be pretty straight forward.  I already have the required bellhousing and one of the engine mounts.  The 2nd one I should be able to get from a 4K Quattro, and the third one was South Africa only, so I might have to fab that one up.  I just need a 5-cylinder carrier bar (easy to get from ZS Imports).

I haven't nailed down which clutch and flywheel I'll use.  I'd really like to find a DM flywheel, and I've heard there are some that will work on 5-cylinder Transporters, but I've yet to find a part number.

The final consideration is that I already have most of what I need, including a factory remanufactured short block, new head/pump/turbo, and pretty much everything else.  (Ironically, about the only thing I don't have is the Vanagon.  I'm waiting until the lease is up on my Subaru next year before picking one up.)  I'll admit though, finding replacement parts for these engines can be a bit of a challenge.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

S-PAutomotive.com