S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1979 1.6 dasher electrical issues  (Read 3434 times)

December 04, 2016, 07:25:35 pm

rjkuljis

1979 1.6 dasher electrical issues
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:25:35 pm »
I am having issues with my dasher electrical. It is a 79 with the 1.6 diesel. The issues I am having are likely related in that the electric controlling the radio, the idiot lights, the coolant gauge and seatbelt buzzer, as well as the head lights, and glow plug light kick on and off intermittently. It started that the radio would kick on and off, which I assumed was related to the battery being low as it seemed the alternator was not charging the battery. I then noticed that one of the main grounds coming off the batter that grounds on the battery holder was broken , so fixed that. Not sure if that fixed the alternator problem or not, but the next thing I noticed was that the coolant temp gauge stopped working . I tried to troubleshoot that with no luck, but in the process the other electrical issues started. So while I was trying to figure out the coolant gauge issue, the other issues started, The headlights worked, and then didn't, and then did, also the radio, etc. Then there was some smoke under the dash, I could not see where it was coming from.

the fuse panel is in very good shape, this car has never had leaks, and there is no corrosion. It has had a short in the oil warning light which has kept that light on in the past.. I am going to start there.

ANy advice is much appreciated!

Reply #1December 05, 2016, 07:45:04 am

erichvw

Re: 1979 1.6 dasher electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:45:04 am »
I am having issues with my dasher electrical. It is a 79 with the 1.6 diesel. The issues I am having are likely related in that the electric controlling the radio, the idiot lights, the coolant gauge and seatbelt buzzer, as well as the head lights, and glow plug light kick on and off intermittently. It started that the radio would kick on and off, which I assumed was related to the battery being low as it seemed the alternator was not charging the battery. I then noticed that one of the main grounds coming off the batter that grounds on the battery holder was broken , so fixed that. Not sure if that fixed the alternator problem or not, but the next thing I noticed was that the coolant temp gauge stopped working . I tried to troubleshoot that with no luck, but in the process the other electrical issues started. So while I was trying to figure out the coolant gauge issue, the other issues started, The headlights worked, and then didn't, and then did, also the radio, etc. Then there was some smoke under the dash, I could not see where it was coming from.

the fuse panel is in very good shape, this car has never had leaks, and there is no corrosion. It has had a short in the oil warning light which has kept that light on in the past.. I am going to start there.

ANy advice is much appreciated!
Verify all your grounds are good. Measure with voltmeter between your -ve battery post to all your grounds. Should be close to 0 volts always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixmyvw.com