Author Topic: used injpump leaking  (Read 2313 times)

November 24, 2016, 07:47:12 pm

air-cooled or diesel

used injpump leaking
« on: November 24, 2016, 07:47:12 pm »
so i bought a used injpump from someone here. got a chance to install it. couldnt figure out at first why i had so much air in inlet line. as it turns out the solenoid is just pouring fuel out. so i took the one out. found a new seal/o-ring. installed, no good, leaking, making quick puddle on my pad. so i ordered a new solenoid for autohaus, i figured it may do it. but didnt know. both solenoids work normally as far as starting(turning key on) and shut-off. so with a new oring (came with solenoid) installed new one. not to say when i pulled 1st solenoid out i did some cleaning before i loosened it, and when i got it out i did some small cleaning, it didnt bother anything. so i put new one in, and it still leaks terribly, but shuts off motor as it should. what else can i do, i was hoping just to install a new seal and it being ok. so the other option i dont want to do is use sealant. id (at first) prefer rtv, but that can be bad news, if solenoid ever has to come back out, i will never get it cleaned up; so that wont work. on further thought, i am thinking permatex(aviation,whatever), with alcohol i should be able to clean it up, if ever needed, and a few hours after install, i can see if i stopped leak.(hoping).

Reply #1November 25, 2016, 12:07:55 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: used injpump leaking
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 12:07:55 am »
Air cooled or Dino,  From what you describe it sounds to me that you can't get the solenoid to tighten down to the body of the IP.  I would try some of those copper washers between the two before I started applying some gooey sealant.  Diesel may degrade that over time and you want to have a clean engine and a clean place to park.

Are you sure the threads are not stripped on that thing? 

Just sounds strange as that part doesn't even move except internally. 

Scratching for ideas here.   

Reply #2November 25, 2016, 09:07:18 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:07:18 am »
Air cooled or Dino
so now im a dino, thats so ancient of you, about me 2oo,, then again i cannt think of anything i even use dino(oil)in, i move to the modern age, from pre-historic, before many even knew. maybe if i end up building another -nicer- air-cooled motor id stay with conv, but have to go fancy. but thats something else  :P

so threads arenot stripped, i have it good and tight. leaking puddles. solenoid screwed down with no problem, or resistance.
I would try some of those copper washers between the two 
so your saying sandwich o-ring between 2 coppers? or use a stack of coppers and try to get it sealed? man, except for brake size coppers, other copper washers can be a hard find.
Are you sure the threads are not stripped on that thing? 

Just sounds strange as that part doesn't even move except internally. 
not sure as to what you read in my op, other than big leak, solenoid works normally, motor shuts-off, and starts up, with a click.

Reply #3November 25, 2016, 03:01:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »
I was thinking you would have the o ring off so placing a copper washer on the threaded part first then slipping the O ring on might help.  I can't remember if the diameter of that threaded end is the same or larger than the in and out bolts.  I seem to have collected a bunch of those washers as I get pumps in and rebuild em. 

If you put a new part in I would be looking for some kind of nick or corrosion around the point where that O ring seals down to the body.  Do you have some crud down in there? 

dino was a reference to diesel in your title, not as refined as gas. 

Reply #4November 25, 2016, 10:37:06 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:37:06 pm »
dino was a reference to diesel in your title, not as refined as gas. 
rrawwr then, or sounding another way i have almost unlimited putput around, well about anywhere,,then again i just moved up got my tdi running, gotta tweak it some before i go too far,,at this point.

anyway back on topic.
like i said before i removed solenoid that came w/unit, i smartly cleaned up(outside), removed it, and did some cleaning mainly around threads, and one thing i got out of hole, no big deal, i figure, then again what do i know, still have same big leak. i ll have to take new one back out and take a better look down hole, it on normal observation looks rather normal and has a lot of fuel where plunger goes(clear), so its a little hard to see, but didnt look like it had a nick or gouge, no crud left there, i got 1 thing out, may have fallen in when i pulled out first,,.
as far as coppers or orings, are you sure were on the right page. solenoid has a thinner part which plunger comes out, you tend to remove plunger and put o-ring on base, put plunger back in, and that *should do it. the threads are quite large in comparison, i use something like a 15/16 wrench for solenoid, and threads are about that width,circumference. so i was, at this point thinking a small stack of coppers? on thinner part, where o-ring goes.

Reply #5November 25, 2016, 11:30:18 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:30:18 pm »
OK it doesn't sound like washers are going to work.  Back to trying to find something that is keeping O Ring from seating properly then.  I still wouldn't like to see a sealant applied in this situation.  It just doesn't seem the way to go on it.

Reply #6November 26, 2016, 08:08:29 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 08:08:29 am »
Back to trying to find something that is keeping O Ring from seating properly then.  I still wouldn't like to see a sealant applied in this situation.  It just doesn't seem the way to go on it.
yea i not a big fan of sealant in a lot of cases. but considering my problem it crossed my mind. i dont want to foul pump, so it looks like its out, at least for now. anyway when i get a chance i have a lot of other work than needs to be done first, then things will be bedded down for winter, i doubt i ll have a chance to get to it when i get back to my shop. so it may wait for next spell of warm(er) weather, well maybe march(late), or april. huh, so i ll have to pull solenoid again, dry plunger hole, and take a good look around base there.

Reply #7November 26, 2016, 02:33:23 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 02:33:23 pm »
I did just think that in times past I have pinched an O Ring on occasion and didn't know it.  So when I put it back together I didn't think to look for a spot on the new ring that was missing.  All I can say is double check that and see.  We are good mechanics most times but never perfect, right? 

Reply #8November 27, 2016, 11:42:46 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:42:46 pm »
You sure it's not leaking from the pump head or the LDA vent? I've never seen another thread with someone saying they had a leak from the shutoff solenoid.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #9November 28, 2016, 07:38:30 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 07:38:30 am »
We are good mechanics most times but never perfect, right? 
yep, mistakes, and small hard-to-see mistakes can happen, keep them chugging away tho :P

You sure it's not leaking from the pump head or the LDA vent? I've never seen another thread with someone saying they had a leak from the shutoff solenoid.
diesel is really clear so its hard to tell 100% for sure, looks like its a stream from solenoid, although prev owner seemed to have tinkered with pump, all the top, should be like torks or allen screws, look replaced and now are nice machine-flat-head screwdriver screws, thinking of getting new torks for top. no lda its an na.