S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Power Steering Flush and Fill  (Read 3369 times)

October 13, 2016, 02:19:49 pm

thomas m

• Junior

Power Steering Flush and Fill
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:19:49 pm »
Original components on the car. I'm the original owner.

I've never flushed the system and have only added "power steering" fluid without much thought about it.

I'd like to flush the system and fill with the appropriate(???) fluid.

Dexron 3 ATF and Pentosin 11S are the top contenders.

Flush with the cheaper Dexron 3 and then fill up with the Pentosin or the Dexron????

Or just drain the system and fill with one or the other???

Are there any major sins that might be committed by either choice??

Comments?

Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #1October 13, 2016, 03:45:40 pm

air-cooled or diesel

Re: Power Steering Flush and Fill
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:45:40 pm »
yea a couple of problems, and some suggestions. one its hard to contaminate a power steering system, its not normal, one thing id check color of fluid, if its normal color, i doubt youd want to, need to flush. one thing if you did flush, an older system, a good chance you washout an old, and/or cracking seal(s). it already sounds like you *may have a problem. i have several cars with p/s, or one make or another, and the vws with p/s i have. i cannt remember the last time ive had to add fluid. over so long, yes once in a while is not a cause,. but it sounds like you, before putting new fluid in, you may want to trace down for leak(s). most likely seal(s). p/s seals can be a b*tch. the drain is all the way under on the opposite side of steering rack. car has to go up on stands. a couple of things,, first, when you drain system, and put new fluid in, unhook p/s pump belt, you have to turn p/s pump(pulley) a few good times, to prime, otherwise youll run it dry, and eeeh,or screech, it wont make it. another when you get enough fluid in it, as i dont have enough direct experience, have someone else IN car, and start car, be ready to fill reservoir, if fluid starts to drop,quickly, you may have to right then have wifey shut her off, and then add fluid, do again, until fluid level stabilizes, have to also prime, fill rack. after that, turn steering wheel a few times, to work out air-bubbles.
use good fluid, i prefer a syn fluid, but thats me(strong).

Reply #2October 13, 2016, 06:41:20 pm

thomas m

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:41:20 pm »
I had some noise, so I removed the belt. Then, no noise. So was it the pump or belt??
I ran the pump with a drill motor, not very effective, but no noise or grinding.
Suspecting wrong belt tension (too tight), I readjusted, by hand, and an extra 1/2 turn on the adjuster bolt. NO MORE NOISE.
I did a generic air bleed, left and right, wheels off ground. Lots of air bubbles. So, that's the bleed.
Recently, I had to replace the left(driver's) side rubber rack boot. No leaks there, just some grease residue.
I threw a little extra grease on the rack.

I'll look for what I understand to be a fluid drain "all the way under on the opposite side of steering rack", though I've looked around quite a bit under there, appreciating the sheer beauty of the beast and found no wet spots of which to speak.

Flushing with some cheaper fluid may be a waste of time and money. A thorough drain job and some Pentosin 11S may be in the cards.

Thanks for the tips !
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:21:37 pm by thomas m »
Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #3October 13, 2016, 09:26:07 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:07 pm »
I'll look for what I understand to be a fluid drain "all the way under on the opposite side of steering rack"
drain iirc is like seemingly under steering wheel/column, its been a while, since ive been under there. my drain was a square hex, iirc.

I had some noise, so I removed the belt. Then, no noise. So was it the pump or belt??
I ran the pump with a drill motor, not very effective, but no noise or grinding.
Suspecting wrong belt tension (too tight), I readjusted, by hand, and an extra 1/2 turn on the adjuster bolt. NO MORE NOISE.

I did a generic air bleed, left and right, wheels off ground. Lots of air bubbles. So, that's the bleed.

though I've looked around quite a bit under there, appreciating the sheer beauty of beast and found no wet spots of which to speak.

Flushing with some cheaper fluid may be a waste of time and money. A thorough drain job and some Pentosin 11S may be in the cards.
belt making noise can be common, and i personally dont feel this belt making noise is a problem, the belt only really runs the p/s pump, the water pump(the important one) is main drive is the other belt
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:41:02 am by air-cooled or diesel »

S-PAutomotive.com