Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6TD CY, 5spd G1, rattle on engine decceleration  (Read 4382 times)

October 04, 2016, 05:00:55 am

kljaja

• User+

1.6TD CY, 5spd G1, rattle on engine decceleration
« on: October 04, 2016, 05:00:55 am »
Hello, my first post here and of course its about something thats bad.

I've got 1984 TAS Golf 1 thats been converted to 1.6TD CY engine code and 5 speed gearbox mated to it.
The thing is that since i've bought it, it has a wierd rattle when i rev the engine high and let go off the throttle. Also, the engine seems to vibrate more than it should on higher engine speeds...
When im standing still in neutral, rev the engine high and let go off the throttle, the rattle is heard from the engine bay directly in front of me (gearbox area) and it sounds like a bearing thats shot and is slowing down with grinding noise because of too much friction, or an angle grinder thats been turned off, it slows down as revs go down.
When im moving, lets say accelerating with WOT, every press of the clutch to change gear that same sound is heard but more violent, it has the patter of BOV sound on a gasser engine. It is also heard when going constant speed at high revs leting off the throttle and pushing the clutch pedal. Letting of the throttle without pushing in the clutch pedal the sound is not heard, although engine seems to vibrate more than it should.

Engine mounts are like new, it doesnt rattle with hanbrake engaged in reverse or 1st gear.
I am thinking of flywheel or some of the bearings near it, as flywheel would have that grinding rattling decelerating pattern as revs go down, and vibrating at higher engine speeds.

I'll try to catch that sound on camera, but I doubt it'll be possible with all the IDI noises :D
Thing is I am not much of mechanic and have little tools to work with, so Im trying to narrow down the problems to spend as little time and effort at mechanics shop.
Cheers!

Going fast never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets ya

Reply #1October 04, 2016, 10:36:08 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: 1.6TD CY, 5spd G1, rattle on engine decceleration
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:36:08 am »
First, I'd check all the heat shields... those can rattle like crazy.

Can you expand on this: "it doesnt rattle with hanbrake engaged in reverse or 1st gear." ?  Is that with engine loading or...?

Reply #2October 04, 2016, 05:26:54 pm

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 05:26:54 pm »
First, I'd check all the heat shields... those can rattle like crazy.

Can you expand on this: "it doesnt rattle with hanbrake engaged in reverse or 1st gear." ?  Is that with engine loading or...?

jerking the car with handbrake on while letting of the clutch eather in 1st or reverse doesnt make it rattle so i guess engine mounts are not a problem..

I think i managed to capture the rattle sound on video today, listen carefully when clutch is pressed

newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjVQqldw1E

Going fast never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets ya

Reply #3October 05, 2016, 10:06:20 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:06:20 am »
That don't sound so good.

Since you can make the sound happen without driving, I'd blip the accelerator in the engine bay and probe around with a mechanic's stethoscope.

Reply #4October 10, 2016, 09:57:48 am

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:48 am »
Few people told me that it's the pressure bearing (?)/ "druck lager" ...Its up for a swap with clutch pack this week so im going to post results!

Reply #5October 18, 2016, 05:40:34 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:40:34 pm »
Same sound with the clutch in or out?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #6October 18, 2016, 06:11:15 pm

kljaja

• User+

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »
Mech changed the cluctch pack with the pressure bearing, even tho the clutch was in mint condition, no more rattles, also the bar that pushes the pressure plate is swapped with the longer one so that clutch grabs at the top of the pedal

Fixmyvw.com