Author Topic: Help installing intercooler  (Read 1979 times)

September 18, 2016, 04:13:35 pm

jpotsopt

• Personal Text
    MK3 AAZ
Help installing intercooler
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:13:35 pm »
Hi guys,
Can someone tell me what i need to do if i want to install the intercooler from the tdi90 in my aaz?

Reply #1January 05, 2017, 10:29:41 am

gto

Re: Help installing intercooler
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:41 am »
Sorry for the late reply but lately I do not check this forum.
I hope I still can help you.

I can suggest you to use the intercooler pipes from 1Z (first TDI engine).
I added the intercooler (with all the pipes) from TDI 90 in the first time but the coupled straight hard pipe from that engine has some bendings at the engine side that make difficult to reach the inlet manifold and the outlet of the compressor with the other pipes available from the intercooler set so I managed to cut some other pipes that I had, it worked but it was not a clean install.
In a second time I found a complete set of pipes from a 1Z engine so I kept the intercooler and the pipes directly attached to it, and replaced the other that had the rights bending (actually they are really straight).
I assume that you have the original turbo, so first of all to let you install the intercooler you should detach the pipe that go from the compressor from the inlet manifold and reverse the upper part of the inlet manifold.
Apart from the complete intercooler and intercooler pipes set from a 1Z engine you will require a short bended hard pipe to connect the original compressor outlet pipe to the rest of the intercooler pipes.
As per the intercooler itself you will need also the intercooler bracket to install it in the right position (near the front left wheel) the body of the car already has the holes to screw the bracket in.
Also I did all this work by unmounting the front bumper first.
If you need I'll add some photos of my car engine compartment.
I know that my instructions are a bit messy, but english is not my first language.

Best regards
Leonardo

edit.
I forgot to write that if you have EGR you should remove it and close the holes with original vw items 038 131 925 and 038 131925 A.
here is a photo at this link:
http://img.gg/fNVf3A0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:45:05 pm by gto »

Reply #2January 12, 2017, 09:19:16 am

jpotsopt

• Personal Text
    MK3 AAZ
Re: Help installing intercooler
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:19:16 am »
yeah, my idea was to install the one from 1z, the full setup with pipes and i knew that i had to reverse that part of the manifold but i'm note sure what i wanna do with that car anymore  ;D i think i will swap to a tdi engine