S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: here is a tdi-m:)  (Read 7975 times)

April 10, 2006, 11:25:21 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

here is a tdi-m:)
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:25:21 pm »
here ya are,,bout'time,,i got a couple up in  the general  section also,,where i was a sped  on posting pics,,upgrades  section ,,,,,,,,,,,it needed a wash,,i just wanted pics now!!!!!!!!!!too

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #1April 12, 2006, 07:23:05 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 07:23:05 pm »
yo yo another one  hehe
 it looks different now different fuel pump i built and I may be adding the second turbo soon..hehe
Later \x/ hillfolk!
Deo

Reply #2April 12, 2006, 10:47:03 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 10:47:03 pm »
sweet,,,whats the biggie the holset??,hey dragway 42 here in ohio has a test+tune fri.night,,im goin10$ to run all nite,couple of dudes at work  goin too,,ill not touch a thing except my boost controller,,iinstalled my water injection tonite,,except i gotta get a piece of hose at work tomorrow,and fill+test it,,,i just wanna run it alot so i can see how it goes "right off the street"ill run it at about 27-28 psi,till i get it in top gear,then ill close it off,,im scared a little,,,i really need a bigger turbo,,its gotta be pumpin major,,,,,hope water injection  will help some,,,,ill try a few things,,taking off in2nd gear,,,etc,,,, expect  there will be a full report here afterwards  in this spot:D  :arrow:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #3April 13, 2006, 07:46:39 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:46:39 am »
close it offf
 stop being a pansy ;)

Reply #4April 13, 2006, 08:39:17 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 08:39:17 pm »
Quote from: "therabbittree"
close it offf
 stop being a pansy ;)
,,,dont worry i will,,but thats not the problem,,,,this is,,,,,,,,,Blake,
We have canceled Friday night. We will not finish construction in time.
As for the helmet, you do not need one until you get down to 13.99 or quicker. With a diesel, I doubt that you will be running that quick. If you do need one, it should be either DOT approved, or a snell 90.

Hope to see you soon,
Toby
cut+pasted email i got todayt :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :oops:  :cry:  :cry:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #5April 15, 2006, 10:46:58 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 10:46:58 am »
ha well it gives you time to make sure you need the helmet..hehe.. I am doing the motor mount ..it sucks i had to dropp it down and out teh boottom and its back in now i have to redothe pump and th et belt argh thats  sucks haha..later
Deo

Reply #6April 16, 2006, 01:24:56 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 01:24:56 am »
hope it fixes the vibes problem,,are ya gonna fill it or anything???
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #7April 16, 2006, 09:05:25 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 09:05:25 am »
naw not filling it..i did notice the exhaust is hitting the bottom of the car now where the ebrake tube and my shifter are home made hanger..argh..I'll have to reengineer it hehe..I hope that and the motor mount were the main issues with the vibration. I am playing with the idea of mounting my twin turbo now, and redoing the front half of the front  exhaust in 3" as the back is 3"... when I remounted the pump I did the timing at 1.05mm.. before I had 1.15mm...ah I hope she runs well ,and if I can get some one to let me use their aluminum welder, then I'll weld my intercooler tubes up. then I can mount that sucker too. I noticed my bed seams are loose ie some spot welds are broken. It's neat cause its rust free,  being from colorado,..so i think the bed floor vibration may have added to the vibration in the cab. I will be redoing some of the welds there soon. I got the other poly race seat mounted and both now sport camo seat covers hehe cool. I hope to paint it and rhino line the bed and rockers sometime this summer.
later,
Deo

Reply #8April 16, 2006, 11:55:15 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 11:55:15 am »
watch those spot welds,,remember my truck,,shockmount rotted off,icould see the bed bounce up and down on the bumps,,,,ihad a feeling those vibes were from exhaust ,,but mount didnt help,,,,,,,,yea, i got my timing set up around  1.00 myself,,didnt try much more than that,,,,yo i got those rabbit stickers,,i was gonna take em to kinkos or somethin,and scan them(mines boxed up,i thinkits actually back there in ny),,so i could have a sticker shop reproduce them if i ever wanted,,,, :D
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #9April 16, 2006, 12:11:56 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 12:11:56 pm »
yeah well i noticed it because i was taking a break sitting on the back of the bed and noticed the edge was flexing so i looked closer and the back edge was separated and the drivers side had a littel you good flex the bed metal up and down ..wierd as it has not rot just some surface rust ..you could see the indents from the spot welds..i guess they weren't to good ..huh..i think I'll stich weld it..and check the under bed seams too... i am debating using my eaton m90 and my holset m90 in a staged setup..on it..it could be pretty cool...debating on where to mount the supercharger..i don't want it on teh front ..but in the back with a offset turbo mount...mummn
later
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Reply #10April 16, 2006, 07:14:26 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 07:14:26 pm »
I wanted to post pics of my M-tdi but don't know how

Reply #11April 16, 2006, 07:33:20 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 07:33:20 pm »
I noticed the pump timing some of you are using is between 1.05 to 1.15mm.  I initially set mine pump to 1.00mm and the engine is very, very loud compared to an electronic pump tdi.  I was using the factory airbox, and it actually made the intake noise worse because it was acting like a megaphone.  I installed a K&N cone filter and it's actually a little better because it's just as loud but it's a different loud.  You can really here the turbo spool up which sounds really nice.  

I have a custom pump pulley setup from an ALH setup and I retarded the pump timing so doesn't sound like a cummings or john deere tractor(that's what my non-diesel head friends say anyway).  It's really easy to change pump timing, 3 allen head bolts.

I marked the original 1.00mm setting and I retarded the timing until the engine started to run poorly then brought it back....I did the timing by "ear".  it's not back at the 1.00mm mark and it's a little less "dieselly".  I'm actually a little disappointed by the amount of noise.  

What I also found strange was the 11mm pump has absolutely no cold start advance mechanism.  It's starts right up in the cold but if it had a cold start advance I could retard the timing a little more and advance the timing when it was cold.  I'm currently running approx 20-25psi of boost and I only use 1st gear starting on a hill, otherwise I always start in 2nd.

Reply #12April 16, 2006, 10:18:52 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 10:18:52 pm »
wow,thats cool,,yea its less dramatic taking off in 2nd,, basically i use first to get the car rolling then get 2nd,,,7a trans here,,acts like a close ratio behind a 1.6td,with all the power,,i will sayit does have more intake honk, than my old 1.6td,sounds like a 1.6 na,with the air cleaner housing off,,i wonder if an iintercooler would silence it some,,,,mostly the turbo whisle comes from straight pipe exhaust,,,
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #13April 16, 2006, 10:23:34 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 10:23:34 pm »
Very good description of the intake noise...it does sound like a rabbit 1.6 n/a come to think of it.   I installed the tdi CTN 02A cable shifter tranny in my A2.  My tdi has the factory GTD intercooler and the noise is still there.  The noise is coming from the intake side of the turbo so I don't think it would matter if it was intercooled or not.  

If I good figure out how to post pics I would.

Reply #14April 17, 2006, 07:34:39 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 07:34:39 pm »
noise is good..hehe..I like the louder diesel sound and turbo / intake noise is even better..

Fixmyvw.com