Author Topic: Need help figuring out A/C and Alt bracket  (Read 3902 times)

May 15, 2016, 10:08:43 pm

KyMoonshine

Need help figuring out A/C and Alt bracket
« on: May 15, 2016, 10:08:43 pm »
Hello, I am putting together a 85 Golf 1.6D and having a horrible problem with belts and pulleys, after doing some research I have found this to be a very common and hard to manage problem with these cars, I was excited that the car was an original A/C car but a lot of the stuff is missing so I want to kill the A/C compressor and just run the Alt belt and that is it, I think from what I have read I will need a non A/C bracket from another car, and a different non A/C Alternator , and some sort of tensioner? I contacted Toywagon and they do not offer anything I can use, After working on it a couple of weeks and finally getting to drive it the Alternator pulley came apart on the freeway and flipped the other belt over when it came off, it also took a hunk out of my timing belt, so I installed a new timing belt today and really need some help getting this bracket/pulley thing sorted, if any of you have dome this please help point me in the direction of the actual parts I will need, maybe some pictures(I like pictures) Thanks for any info

This is what happened that started my problems

Reply #1May 16, 2016, 10:52:14 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Need help figuring out A/C and Alt bracket
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:52:14 am »
Before anything, I'd get/put the stock covers on the timing belt pathway... ANY debris could get in there and bag the motor. These are interference engines; valves will collide with pistons when the timing belt slips or breaks.

I dicked around plenty with alternatives and finally found the stock system to be pretty good when the engine is running smoothly... I need to retension the belts only a couple times a year.

Reply #2May 16, 2016, 12:58:20 pm

KyMoonshine

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »
Before anything, I'd get/put the stock covers on the timing belt pathway... ANY debris could get in there and bag the motor. These are interference engines; valves will collide with pistons when the timing belt slips or breaks.

I dicked around plenty with alternatives and finally found the stock system to be pretty good when the engine is running smoothly... I need to retension the belts only a couple times a year.

Yes I agree, I have a used top and bottom cover on the way , I think my problem is my alt pulley, I have tried several different ones and none seem to run true

Reply #3May 16, 2016, 04:38:46 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 04:38:46 pm »
oh god, i hope you kept your pulleys, i find the pulleys i get on alts i now buy Will Not fit, so i end up having kept the original pulleys, have to always remember that. if you can find new pulleys the alt 1 ran about $40 and that was a few years ago, i recently went to my napa store, theyre no longer in stock and harder to find, i dont think i can find them @autohaus either.
looks like your fuel line is rubbing also w/o the timing cover.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:40:31 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #4May 16, 2016, 09:04:13 pm

KyMoonshine

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:04:13 pm »
oh god, i hope you kept your pulleys, i find the pulleys i get on alts i now buy Will Not fit, so i end up having kept the original pulleys, have to always remember that. if you can find new pulleys the alt 1 ran about $40 and that was a few years ago, i recently went to my napa store, theyre no longer in stock and harder to find, i dont think i can find them @autohaus either.
looks like your fuel line is rubbing also w/o the timing cover.

I bought two sets of OG pulleys from a forum member and neither worked well, but I think I have it close enough to last a while, I am waiting on the timing covers and I should be driving again

Reply #5May 17, 2016, 10:03:47 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:03:47 am »
Yeah, the pulley system on these things seems to be a weak point on these cars. If you cant find a complete set of non/ac pulleys and alt bracket try to keep the pulley set you have. There tends to be alot of crappy v-belts on the market that will make you think that your pulleys are messed up when in reality its just a crappy belt

Reply #6May 17, 2016, 12:03:28 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:03:28 pm »
Just in case you are hellbent on piecing together a non/ac setup Ill go take some pictures for ya :)

Reply #7May 17, 2016, 12:46:40 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »
Now this is the bracket that you DO NOT WANT it only has 2 bolts at the bottom of the waterpump holding it on. There is a spot at the top to mount to a vw 1.5 injection pump bracket an nothing else. Without the top bolt the entire bracket can be flexed by hand. No Bueno.

The bracket I have is off of an 81 Caddy pickup truck while the entire Alternator and crank pulley came off of a 1.5L engine.

The waterpump pulley is an unknown as it came with a pile of VW parts that I acquired 7 years ago

Fixmyvw.com