S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Extreme white smoke on fresh frankenengine trouble-VIDEO INCLUDED  (Read 8938 times)

Reply #45April 23, 2016, 02:52:57 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Extreme white smoke on fresh frankenengine trouble-VIDEO INCLUDED
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2016, 02:52:57 pm »
90% there is junk stuck in the fuel shut off solenoid

Reply #46April 23, 2016, 10:35:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 10:35:51 pm »
Wouldn't that mean there is something internally wrong with the IP?  Well, Maybe not if something like a line was gone south between the filter and the IP.

Could be the Solenoid itself.  I have seen those degrade over time too.

Reply #47May 17, 2016, 10:20:39 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:39 am »
So possibly the selenoid was stuck, I am not sure either way. Still there is this huge smoke coming from the car I used to love, and I 've finally had it, so I've gone and bought myself a honda. I thought V-tec will help heal wound left by my backstabbing frankenegine, but honestly, it didn't work.

I still miss real power of turbodiesel a lot.

I 've arranged a mechanic buddy of mine to check compression (just doublechecking) and come see for possible problems but he ''forgot'' three times now so I don't think he will be of any help.
I don't plan to fiddle with this anytime soon, school and work not allowing, but I just wanted to throw some info out for you to chew:

-I notice air coming from between all 4 injectors and cylinder head (if I pour diesel over them) where thread for injector is in the head. I wonder, is this normal? New injector washers make no difference. Everything is clean, no cracks that I can see, torqued to spec... This really bothers me because I guess it could affect compression measurement tiny bit.

-What is normal distance between cam and liters? Did you ever hear of hydraulic lifters needing adjustment? Can this be adjusted in the car by ''amateur'' ? I can't really see any gap between them but that doesn't really say anything without tools...

-Bubbles in return line (only from pump side, not from injectors). Really tiny tiny bubbles but there are some, is that normal? Did anyone ever check what comes out of return line? No leaks, all lines are new, changed 2 pumps, still some bubbles...

I know there probably no helping it, compression being so low, but still, tiny bit of hopes there is some other problem that can be solved....
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #48May 17, 2016, 03:43:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2016, 03:43:41 pm »
Since I am chewing lunch I might as well ingest some of this diesel stuff as well.

Having a friend that forgets all the time is not a friend at all. 

Is it really air coming out between the injectors and the head?  Or is it the diesel just boiling there?  I have seen diesel leak out of those tiny hoses and it looks like it is foaming away down there when in fact it is just boiling away.  But if you do have a leak it would go both ways.  So a short shot of some ether over those injectors will make the engine rev up.  Don't confuse ether going into front of the intake with that going in by the injectors.  Put some sort of cardboard deflector up and just use a tiny press on the can nozzle.  I mean super short shot.

Distance between cam and lifters?  Depends if the engine is hot or cold and if you are measuring an intake or an exhaust valve.  Specs in the Bentley but I think they are in the ball park of 15 thousands for the intake and 25 for the exhaust?  It has been a long time since I floated those feeler gauges between those points.  And you have to do it with the right sequence so there is no pressure on the lobs.  TDC of each cylinder.  You don't adjust hydro lifters but they can get out of whack and don't do right. 

Bubbles in the line?  If in the return line that means air in the pump or it is coming in from the injector hoses.  Really tiny bubbles may just be the diesel under a vacuum and is pulling the air out of it.  It has been demonstrated to be a problem on lines or filters that are plugged ahead of the IP. 

Correct the compression and then worry about the above.  That's my advice.

S-PAutomotive.com