Author Topic: Extreme white smoke on fresh frankenengine trouble-VIDEO INCLUDED  (Read 8933 times)

Reply #30April 19, 2016, 11:08:11 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Extreme white smoke on fresh frankenengine trouble-VIDEO INCLUDED
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 11:08:11 pm »
you shouldn't put oil into the holes of a diesel engine to compression test...think about how a diesel lights. Granted your compression stinks, but it is the idea.

This is 100% of what I had figured. You have a very whipped engine/head combo. If you are going to be putting a lower compression head onto the engine it really should be in good shape. That said 200 compression is about 1/2 of what it should be. My guess is the rings are shot and the head needs valves at a minimum.

Reply #31April 20, 2016, 07:46:14 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 07:46:14 pm »
 50$ tool to tell you what you can find out by turning the engine by hand?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #32April 20, 2016, 11:31:32 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 11:31:32 pm »
fatmobile,  I would bet 2 dollars to a Voodoo Doughnut that most folks couldn't decide if a diesel engine is good or bad by turning it by hand.  Some would think that much resistance means something is sticking or valves are not opening.  If it was worn out and compression was shot they might think all it well. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:35:57 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #33April 21, 2016, 02:40:37 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 02:40:37 am »
We gotta build us'ns a wall to fend off'n those blue ink refugees.....
Yes, I know....it just got 10 feet taller.
Wait...put some clear lines on it........
Roll that pump back and forth like a monkey with a coconut.....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:54:06 am by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #34April 21, 2016, 09:56:22 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 09:56:22 am »
50$ tool to tell you what you can find out by turning the engine by hand?

Well maybe you are turning engine by hand every day to know when you have good or bad compression,
but the rest of us are using starter motor to do that so we aren't so sensitive about it.

So I am investing 50 bucks to prevent myself from throwing 100 on some POS engine.

We gotta build us'ns a wall to fend off'n those blue ink refugees.....
Yes, I know....it just got 10 feet taller.
Wait...put some clear lines on it........
Roll that pump back and forth like a monkey with a coconut.....

What? I hope you are OK...
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #35April 21, 2016, 05:46:42 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 05:46:42 pm »
I've given a good description on how to check compression by hand several times,... I'll tell you again.

If you are turning the crank with a socket on the crank bolt and it wants to turn backwards; compression is above 375psi.
 It can still turn a little hard below that,.. down to 325. Then it kinda just goes around with some effort but not much.

If it tries to push itself backwards it's real good.

There that doesn't sound hard does it?

You don't really picture me turning engines over by hand every day do you? ha.
 I don't work on cars every day, I don't even have a garage and work on cars outside when needed. There's a more accurate picture for you.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #36April 21, 2016, 11:45:21 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:21 pm »
Fats,  Thanks for the hand to gauge correlation.  I have never seen that before.  I have a gauge but like it was said.  I use the starter to crank it when I am checking the numbers.  Never thought to do a hand turn at the same time I had the gauge hooked up.

Reply #37April 22, 2016, 07:44:05 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2016, 07:44:05 am »
I've given a good description on how to check compression by hand several times,... I'll tell you again.

If you are turning the crank with a socket on the crank bolt and it wants to turn backwards; compression is above 375psi.
 It can still turn a little hard below that,.. down to 325. Then it kinda just goes around with some effort but not much.

I don't work on cars every day, I don't even have a garage and work on cars outside when needed. There's a more accurate picture for you.

WTF??? My engine IS pushing back... I am always annoyed by that when timing the pump and it was the same when I was changing the pump. If you stop turning the engine before TDC it will turn back like it's on spring... Now either your hangauge doesn't really work or my compression tester was broken... Will try to turn it again today.

(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #38April 22, 2016, 08:41:38 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2016, 08:41:38 am »

I don't like that gauge. If you turn an engine faster than not it will obscure the hand test and want to spin the engine back. I think it would be something you have to do yourself with a gauge and do your best guess at how hard and fast you turned the engine and how much it backed off. I would think for a diesel that is supposed to have 23:1 compression it would be a hard guess at best. Probably the only thing gained out of the test would be if all cylinders felt the same or one was completely dead. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see this as a good way to go without a gauge to test

Reply #39April 22, 2016, 11:01:44 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 11:01:44 am »
its a good  test but only to tell the difference between completely bad and possibly good. you can definitely spot an engine that is totally clapped out this way, but if you are feeling compression its hard to tell if its just ok or if its really good.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #40April 22, 2016, 05:02:11 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2016, 05:02:11 pm »
I discovered today it's only running on cyl. 1 and 4.
Then I swapped injectors around and now it's only running on 2,3.
Also hand dial almost broke my hand when I tried to spin it faster (spanner rebound on compression made me hit oil pan rather hard).
I suspect guys dial was broken. I find it hard to believe this engine would be starting and running this well on 2 cylinders with half compression gone. Also smoke disappears when I undo fuel lines to faulty injectors.

Anyway one cyl. was already found to be leaking, but it's still a nightmare because I tried 2 of my spare injectors and none of them seems to work. I have 2 more spares, but I didn't want to annoy neighbors anymore and I am covered with fuel so I called it a day.

I just pray that tomorrow other 2 injectors work, if that fixes it I could take a trip to Worthersee for maiden voyage (its pretty close to where I live so I am not going crazy don't worry... )

Reply #41April 22, 2016, 10:30:42 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2016, 10:30:42 pm »
Get a set of injectors rebuilt pronto... Crappy spray patterns and mismatched pop pressures won't do you any favours. You can do IDI injectors yourself if you have the time, you'll need to make a pop tester.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #42April 22, 2016, 11:54:50 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2016, 11:54:50 pm »
So all the smoke was from two injectors fouled up?  And you have spares?  Time to at least crack some apart and pretty them up on the ends.  I use a 10 power hand lens to see the tips. 

Going to file that possibility in the back of the brain.  Seems when folks claim smoke we just jump on the timing/180 out/fuel line with air route.  Good to know that you make be close to cruising with this lil bugger.

Reply #43April 23, 2016, 01:23:58 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2016, 01:23:58 pm »
i didn't listen to it, but i agree it sounds retarded

LOL are you are mocking me??? :) HAHA
 now seriously,I will definitely advance the timing to 1.15 before I start it next time. You were the only one to give at least approximate number, thankyou...

Yeah mine smoked about that much but it was probably colder outside then. I put the stock head back on.

Sounds like you gave up fast, did you try to advance the timing before you put stock back?

Advance! Advance!

Sounds retarded to my ear across the internet.  If it improves when pulling the cold start handle (It's NOT A CHOKE!) then bumping up the timing would be prudent.  The cold start handle adds a few degrees of advance when pulled.

You seem to have good ear, would you say it's only running on three cyl's? Someone on FB said so but I can't hear (I am about 50%deaf so I really can't hear well)

Anyway I hope timing does the trick, but if it doesn't and this really is nature of the beast I plan on installing block heater. I hate driving cold engine anyway...

I was the one on FB that said it sounded like it was running on 3...you cannot expect to grab anything on the shelf and expect these engines to run perfectly. Please fix what you know is bad and get a baseline.

Reply #44April 23, 2016, 01:25:00 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2016, 01:25:00 pm »
This engine is POS.

car just ran for 30 seconds without key in it on injectors that were tested perfect few hours ago

It is only luck it didn't run away on me.

I am done. I am getting drunk today and I am forgetting about it until summer.
I put all I have into this pc of sht and it's turned it's back on me. There is no god and no justice there is only the next thing in life waiting to fck you up.

Thankyou for all support and help everyone.
Be safe.

S-PAutomotive.com