S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: setting up an 1Z/AHU m-tdi for vanagon Westy  (Read 4566 times)

December 28, 2015, 10:27:57 am

rsvp

• User+

setting up an 1Z/AHU m-tdi for vanagon Westy
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:27:57 am »
hi all,

I'm in the process of organizing/parts collecting,etc for installation of an 1Z/AHU m-tdi motor for a diesel westy, and wondered what would be the best compromise of power and reliability?

specifically:

-stock turbo vs VNT (can you easily run a VNT off mechanical pump?)

-nozzels... what size?

what other mods, if any, would you all recommend, I don't wish to stress the motor too much, but figure the more power, the better the fuel economy if I restrain my right foot's urge to push down.

thanks,
Steve

Reply #1December 28, 2015, 11:10:44 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: setting up an 1Z/AHU m-tdi for vanagon Westy
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:10:44 am »
Using a VNT turbo has its own complications.  There are various ways to control the vanes with upsides and downsides to each.

What nozzles to use depends on what boost, turbo, and pump you will be running.

Having more available power will not help fuel economy.  It also won't really hurt economy if you don't use it.   

Reply #2December 29, 2015, 10:06:12 am

rsvp

• User+

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:06:12 am »
Hi Andrew,

Given my parameters of as much power as resonably possible while not overstressing the AHU/1Z m-TDI motor, what would you recommend for turbo/injectors/ intercooler/etc?

Any other thoughts on the build for a heavy Westy appreciated!

thanks,
Steve

Reply #3December 29, 2015, 09:28:48 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »
There are a lot of different ways to go and there isn't necessarily a right/wrong answer.  A VNT can give better performance, but requires some kind of vane control and that vane control can either be very simple (e.g. boost can) with relatively poor results (e.g. excessive exhaust restriction at less than max boost) or complex (standalone electronic control) with very good results.  A wastegated turbo can be an easier install but give worse low rpm performance.  The intercooler install could be air to water with added complexity and expense or air to air with reduced efficiency.  I don't know your priorities or skillset and those are key factors in the equation. 

Reply #4December 31, 2015, 01:43:53 pm

rsvp

• User+

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:43:53 pm »
Thanks Andrew,

I'll stay with my 1Z/AHU setup with m-TDI pump for now... and after I get that all set up and installed, I'll start thinking about upgrades.

regards,
Steve