Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Very rough running  (Read 9522 times)

Reply #45November 04, 2015, 09:52:09 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

Re: Very rough running
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 09:52:09 am »

Is what it originally looked like. I just swapped the gear and the arm over from the other pump. When I was looking into it I believed the bottom mechanism controlled the timing advance and the top mechanism was for an idle increase. I didn't open the pump and I was pretty careful to keep everything in the same position.

Reply #46November 05, 2015, 07:45:33 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2015, 07:45:33 pm »
I've emailed Giles and he seems to think my issues are related to my timing and possibly the injectors. He doesn't think the throttle linkage is out of adjustment. He's suggesting to set the timing with the pin locked on the pump and not a dial gauge. The pin is set for .95mm which would retard it a bit but he's the man so I'll trust him and give it a try. Quote was a bit more then expected on the injectors so I'll give the used aaz ones a try while I save up to get them rebuilt.

Reply #47November 08, 2015, 12:03:27 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2015, 12:03:27 am »
Yep, the top arm is the high/low idle speed control and the lower one is the cold start advance. So what do you have on there now exactly?

If you have the style of pump that uses a pin lock then yes, that's the right way to set it, at least initially. The pump hub would have been set by the builder with the correct timing. If it really is a Giles pump it will have lots of dynamic advance meaning the static timing generally gets set to the lower end of the spec.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #48November 08, 2015, 12:07:04 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »
I have the normal 1.6td cod start mechanism installed now with the spring loaded arm connecting the idle and timing advance. Injectors will be here during the week and with a little luck it will hopefully run a lot better

Reply #49November 11, 2015, 01:32:22 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:22 pm »
I just redid the timing again this time without the gauge putting the pin hole slightly to the advanced side on the pump. My new injectors still havnt arrived but it's working a lot better. Still smoked like crazy on startup but started a lot easier. Only took like 2 cranks to start after sitting for 2 weeks. Idle is better but still sounds a bit off. Smoke has almost completely cleared once warmed up but is still present.

Throttle issue still remains. I don't see how it could be anything other then a misadjusted linkage. Power still feels lacking a bit on the top end which I'm betting is related to the throttle issue.

Hoping the new injectors smooth out the idle a bit. Sounds like it has a thud noise every 4th pulse. Any input on that? Valves tapping the pistons? I'm pretty sure the timing is bang on this time. Check out the video and let me know what you guys think.

Here are some pics I took showing how I timed it.

Reply #50November 19, 2015, 07:53:00 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2015, 07:53:00 pm »
Decided to throw the old head back on with my new 2nd hand was injectors and new heat shields.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up the injector socket that prothe sells for like $12 fits Aaz sockets perfectly and is actually pretty good quality. 12 point with an opening for the drain nipples to fit threw and looks to be hardened steel like impact sockets.

Reply #51November 22, 2015, 07:20:19 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2015, 07:20:19 pm »
Put the stock head back on today. I also reused the mls gaskets I drilled the rivers and copper sprayed on each layer of the gasket.

With the 1.6td head and the new used Aaz injectors I was able to get it started fairly easily and there wasn't a massive cloud of smoke this time. Throttle issue still remains so I don't think it could be anything other then a misadjusted linkage. I still need a valve cover gasket and to fill it with coolant so I didn't test drive it but It still sounds a bit off though. I dont think if I'm getting full compression on each cylinder. The starter sounds like it's cranking easier as well which isn't a good sign. I'm done for the day though I'll play with it a bit more during the week or maybe best weekend...

Reply #52November 23, 2015, 09:20:52 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 09:20:52 pm »
 I drilled the rivers ????   Ice fishing already?   

Must be mighty cold in his parts, the rest of us are just getting snow or cold weather. 

I would be looking at the throttle closely to see why you have that trouble with it.  Compression test really might be next diagnostic to do. 

Local auto parts store happen to have a loaner program for a diesel tester or just the regular gas type?

Depending on the store here you can find one that gets to the 500 range we are needing. 

Reply #53November 23, 2015, 09:25:27 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 09:25:27 pm »
and to fill it with coolant so I didn't test drive it
i hope you dont have it running for more than about 1min or 2 at most until you get coolant in it.

Reply #54November 23, 2015, 09:47:33 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:33 pm »
Drilled the rivets* in the mls gasket.

Yeah I just started it up to see if it would start and how it idled and revved. Wasn't on for more then 30seconds.

I just moved it into the back yard so I won't have so much stress/pressure to get it going. I'm just hoping it doesn't get burried in snow before I can get all the bugs worked out. Its practically dark by the time I get home from work so I won't have a lot of time to work on it except for weekends.

First I need to modify the water pump housing by brazing a copper elbow onto it (reason I didn't fill coolant). Hopefully get that done before the weekend then I'll try advancing the timing. I also need to install my lift, put an exhaust on it and modify my alternator bracket to fit a new Gm 110amp alternator then wire the fans to be on all the time (fan controller I bought doesn't work). Then hopefully be able to drive is 50km so I can warranty my battery And not have to charge it every couple days.