S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Should have known  (Read 4139 times)

October 01, 2015, 01:35:04 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

Should have known
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:35:04 pm »
Reference:  Replacing all old rubber: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,35321.0.html

But the ONE coolant hose I didn't replace, that goes from cylinder head to firewall heater core at firewall...  only been on it for 5 years...  Looked new, good... replaced every other radiator hose.  So there I was, in this story, over 250 miles away in Maryland, and I saw smoke from the left front of Caddy.  Must be the exhaust from the SUV in front of me.  NOT!!  The exhaust pipe was on the right when the SUV moved.  Drove another quarter mile, pulled into the hotel parking lot, raised the hood and a pin-hole on that hose was shooting coolant.  Still had coolant in the reservoir.  Quick Google search, drove to Advanced Auto 4.5 miles away.  They could get the hose in a week.  I pulled it and found a hose to fit, with a splice 3/4 to 5/8 and clamps.   Drove home, and found the right part quickly in Richmond area.

Moral to this story.  Replace hoses.  Every damn one of them.  Periodically.

Oh, the plight of driving the same 35 year old vehicle for over 20 years... (
Oh the joy of no payments....

Reply #1October 03, 2015, 09:53:07 am

air-cooled or diesel

Re: Should have known
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:53:07 am »
in an emergency, you can just throw on a generic hose from pepboys, or autozone, advance. -that hose, a length of hose you can make the 90deg turn will work; all you need is a few tools. a screwdriver or two, may need pliers or channel locks, a 1/4" wrench or socket can help as a standard size clamp for water hoses and other hoses if needed a 1/4"will fit and you can tighten it more than a screwdriver. most clamps you can snap with a 1/4" so dont crank it down too much. you now can drive home without much problem, just need some water to top off after hose drains some,, the hose kits from napa seemed a good price and good quality, the hose next to it i swapped a napa hose it, for $9 and it was made in either ger or turkey. feel good about it. i get a lot of my parts from the richmond warehouse.

Reply #2January 11, 2016, 12:57:05 pm

81 Caddy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:57:05 pm »
Or, you just loosen the radiator cap to relive presser and drive home!

Reply #3January 26, 2016, 12:06:44 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:44 pm »
I was in Aberdeen Maryland, and to return to Richmond Virginia, well, I made a hose, custom from walking thru advanced auto, and a splice and clamps.  It was verhy hot that day, so I will stick with my decision to booger rig and drive it.

Reply #4January 28, 2016, 01:48:18 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »
I'm more of a mind to keep replacement hoses in the 'parts box' in the trunk rather than repeatedly change hoses that may still have many years of life left. 

Reply #5February 03, 2016, 03:22:46 pm

DogDiesel

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 03:22:46 pm »
I drive this little truck everyday, often two or four states away.  I will change every coolant hose.  No more than 10 years on coolant hoses, from now on.  Burned once.  I have been taught my lesson.  This time I was lucky.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:16:11 am by DogDiesel »