S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Holset-idi or tdi? 2 idi's gone in 1 month please help me decide  (Read 3686 times)

September 20, 2015, 02:07:40 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
Holset-idi or tdi? 2 idi's gone in 1 month please help me decide
« on: September 20, 2015, 02:07:40 pm »
So long story short, I destroyed something on my Holset blown 1.6 TD while going crazy on motorway.
This makes second engine this month. I don't want to explain, it could be my fault but doesnt really matter to this discussion

Since this I am now at crossroad: stay idi or go TDI?

I have holset 200 WG with nice 6cm exhaust and I don't know what engine should I buy now that both of my engines are gone.
With my power goal of around 180 whp I can't decide which way is the best.

IDI pros:
engines are cheap in my country, entire TD cars for 200€
I looooove how 1.6 rev so light and high
I know engine, have timig tools and everything, can biuld everything but valves
can finetune pump by hand
high revving power of TD makes me easier reach higher top speed that is also one of my goals (230 kph on CTN box)

IDI cons:
to reach my goal I need dieselmeken pump and stonger headbolts- COST 1300€+
also new head cost 300€
will probably destroy engines every month or so ? (rebiuld/changing engines gets old after 2,3 times)

TDI pros:
I have TDi availible in my fathers junked 1.9 TDi audi 100, it's chipped to''130'' by words of previos owner (I assume this is max with stock ECU)
stronger engines?

TDI cons:
tdi's are more expensive, 90 hp ones are like 350€ and 110 go higher than that
not that familiar engine
standalone ECU-cost? 500€ ?  :-[
Tuning cost? 250 €?
RPM limit 5000? 4800?  :-[
Wiring headache?
Looses that wow factor (look on peoples faces when I tell them it's 1.6  :o  ;D ;D )
Extra mods for TDI?

I really love 1.6 but I start thinking that TDI could be more reliable and cheaper to tune to my power...
Any more con's/pro's or general unbiased opinions are welcome
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:09:28 pm by golfmk1tdr »

1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #1September 20, 2015, 02:51:48 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Holset-idi or tdi? 2 idi's gone in 1 month please help me decide
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 02:51:48 pm »
AHU TDI with LT28 mechanical pump would be a drop-in motor w/ 12mm plunger. 

Reply #2September 20, 2015, 03:39:01 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 03:39:01 pm »
AHU TDI with LT28 mechanical pump would be a drop-in motor w/ 12mm plunger. 

Is AHU motor capable of 170 whp on stock internals?
What is the advantage of LT28 pump over electric one? Can you estimate cost for me?
Sorry I am lazy on search I have other things going on now...
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #3September 22, 2015, 07:08:46 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 07:08:46 pm »
I don't know if the stock AHU would handle 170 whp but it would do better than a 1.6 at the same power, though, because of the added displacement/lower pcps.

The advantage of the LT28 over the stock electric pump are its 12mm plunger and single-wire operation. 

I cannot estimate your cost.

Reply #4September 22, 2015, 10:10:02 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 10:10:02 pm »
I think you should figure out what you are doing wrong. I have a 10mm head on my idi pump and cannot make the boost you are getting. Also, I don't drive like an idiot, not saying you do, but if you are you could stop. What exhaust and intake setup were you using? What was done to the engine maintenance wise? If you are beating the snot out of it all the time you will have issues no matter what. Cheap, reliable, fast...you can only pic 2 at a time.

Reply #5September 22, 2015, 10:12:43 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 10:12:43 pm »
I agree:
"I don't want to explain, it could be my fault but doesnt really matter to this discussion."

THAT is the most arrogant, mindless statement I have run across here so far.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #6September 23, 2015, 07:37:05 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:37:05 am »
1.6 should handle what you're doing just fine.  but if i were you at this point and i hadn't given up all together i'd go for the slightly more expensive tdi.  tdi is more likely to throw a rod but over all is a much better, and more stout engine, and 1.6 is still more likely to fail over the tdi.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #7September 23, 2015, 09:51:45 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:51:45 am »
I'm curious why you say the TDI is more likely to throw a rod.  I've seen a lot more tossed 1.6 rods than TDI rods.

Reply #8September 23, 2015, 01:42:38 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »
I'm curious why you say the TDI is more likely to throw a rod.  I've seen a lot more tossed 1.6 rods than TDI rods.

for the opposite reason haha, i've never seen a 1.6 with a tossed rod, but i have definitely seen tdi's with them.  id proabbyl take ur experience over mine tho
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #9September 23, 2015, 04:13:27 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 04:13:27 pm »
I agree:
"I don't want to explain, it could be my fault but doesnt really matter to this discussion."

THAT is the most arrogant, mindless statement I have run across here so far.

I wanted to discuss TDI vs. IDI, not about why my engine failed. I never said 1.6 is weak or bad so I don't see why you call me arrogant.
We are all dieselhead's here so please chill  ;)

I think you should figure out what you are doing wrong. I have a 10mm head on my idi pump and cannot make the boost you are getting. Also, I don't drive like an idiot, not saying you do, but if you are you could stop. What exhaust and intake setup were you using? What was done to the engine maintenance wise? If you are beating the snot out of it all the time you will have issues no matter what. Cheap, reliable, fast...you can only pic 2 at a time.

What are you saying, these engines aren't cheap? Or fast? Or reliable?
Maybe you are trying to say that modifiyng engine to be 150+ bhp fast is expensive, well if so I understand you entirely.
Can you tell me how did you 10mm your pump? Or is it giles work (I know you probably write this allready but I forget)

--Exhaust is ebay manifold gasket matched to head and turbo + 6 cm exhaust all the way.
--Intake is bigass iveco intercooler, for manifold I am planing for either 1.9 NA manifold for long runners and bigger plenum OR welded alu tube on AAZ manifold for equall air distr. across cylinders- which do you think is better option?

I don't think I drive like idiot, I always wait with boost until oil is warm and I allways leave car running until it cools to working temp. (I actually get mocked by my friends for that but I keep doing it)
Between that it's game on 'till EGT alarm kicks in, I didn't biuld it to nany it. My driving isn't the reason it failed, it's mechanical skills that are (still) lacking (a bit  :-[ )

1.6 should handle what you're doing just fine.  but if i were you at this point and i hadn't given up all together i'd go for the slightly more expensive tdi.  tdi is more likely to throw a rod but over all is a much better, and more stout engine, and 1.6 is still more likely to fail over the tdi.

These 1.6 fails you are talking about is mostly prechamber related, am I hearing you right?
Atleast that is what I worry about the most. What should I look for, EGT's? Boost? How much do you recomend as ''safe''

Anyways, as far as my decision goes, I am pretty much decided- I choose both  ;D
After troughrough (did I get that right ???) examination it looks like dad's ''junked'' A6 tdi is actualy in rather good shape, it has many dings and bruises but it has (shockingly) no rust holes, interior is in good condition and after I put on rear lights I collected from junkyard today (all 4 of them broken on dads car  ::) ) it will actually be pretty decent hauler/winterwagon,also with sweet AFN TDI to keep me from falling asleep in comfort  ;D
So I am getting it registred end of the week.  :P

Also while I was checking the Audi out I got a call from friend, saying he got sweet complete AAZ head for 50€ :P
Picking it up will be great maiden voyage for my new cruiser  8)

So I will biuld frankenengine for my golf now that it don't have to worry about daily duties anymore.
Still don't know if I should invest into bolts and IP, I will probably try to maximize my stock pump.
And after that gives up maybe LT28 pump to power AFN in golf? I have to research bit more on that but I think I could get the pump on our junkyards for reasonable price...

I hope this is not the end to discussion, I would still like to hear what you all think (even if we don't reach concesuss) on IDI/TDI topic   :)

Reply #10September 23, 2015, 04:55:28 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 04:55:28 pm »
Yeah i meant idi is more likely to fail because of the presidents chambers. But I think with a proper turbo and pump and egts its not so bad.

Also with tdi Vs 1.6 on rods 1.6 has a shorter throw and shorter rods.