Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: help identifying a very unhealthy sound  (Read 9928 times)

Reply #15May 29, 2015, 01:30:38 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: help identifying a very unhealthy sound
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 01:30:38 pm »
Yeah, it chewed up the crank end, and required some prying to get it off.. I had just replaced the bottom end due to a spun bearing a few weeks before, and figured it was that again.. After I found the loose pressure plate it made sense,

well, hopefully mines ok.  now i am more concerned.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #16May 30, 2015, 05:21:49 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 05:21:49 pm »
so i got to work on this a litte bit past noon, and i had everything out before 2pm and that was while working at a very leisurely pace.  i was pretty surprised how quick everything went

i guess this is why you must use the newer stretch bolt style flywheel bolts with the large clutch setups since mine were apparently rubbing on the edges of the pressure plate, i am not sure maybe this normal for either style bolt??

the next 2 pictures i took because i wasn't sure if maybe this strap had stretched judging by the marks around the rivet

and here is the actual damaged parts, bolt holes are ovaled out, and the mating surface is marred up, crank surface looks the same as the pp so i will have to clean that up before installing the new one.

the crank bolts threads looked fine other than where the pp had obviously beat them up, and they all came out nice and smooth so i am not concerned about the crank threads, and i'll obviously be using new bolts, the part i am concerned about is  cleaning up the crank surface before install the new pp to make sure it is totally flat, i can use a file and stuff, but i am open to suggestions as i am no machinist and i dont have experience with something like this.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:28:31 pm by RabbitJockey »
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #17June 01, 2015, 09:49:53 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:53 am »
so i got to work on this a litte bit past noon, and i had everything out before 2pm and that was while working at a very leisurely pace.  i was pretty surprised how quick everything went

Wait the minute. You pulled the tranny/clutch out of a running driving VW in less than 2 hours? Do you have a lift? Please list your procedure.

I did a tranny swap AVX to ACN approx 3 years ago in my Jetta and it took me a few weeks working on jack stands. I took my time with help from this forum (first time doing it and had to make tools like flange pullers etc). Getting the ACN in was no fun working on my back.

I need to do a clutch soon and was considering farming the job out to a VW shop who quoted me at least $700 labor says the job is minimum 7 to 8 hours (he has a lift and all the tools). With that price tag I am considering doing it myself for punishment.

Reply #18June 01, 2015, 10:12:39 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 10:12:39 am »
???
worst part of the clutch job is getting the cv's in/out with the triple square bolts and propping the engine up on the trans side as I only have 2 jack stands. After that MKI and MKII is pretty easy. If you have new parts to go in you should be able to finish it in a day or less.

Reply #19June 01, 2015, 12:56:21 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »
i just did it in my car port with 2 jack stands holding up the front of the car and 2 jack stands with a 4x4 across them holding the engine up.  i've done it before so maybe that helps because i already know how to do each part and what tools to grab before i start.  it will take much longer to put it back together because of the cleaning and torque procedures.  but still a clutch is not too bad of a job even in a mk4

Reply #20June 01, 2015, 03:05:57 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 03:05:57 pm »
........... 2 jack stands with a 4x4 across them holding the engine up. ....................

Do you have a pic? I borrowed a HF engine support from a friend that has a come-a-long built in that rested on the fenders when I did the swap but he moved away so I would be interested in your setup.

Reply #21June 01, 2015, 04:57:31 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »
Is N10013401 the correct flywheel/ pressure plate bolts? Dealer says 9 are needed and they are $1.77 ea. FCPEuro have ones made by Febi at $1.09 ea.  Are they OK?  What type of socket is needed on these 12 point jobbies?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-clutch-pressure-plate-bolt-n10013401
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:00:39 pm by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #22June 01, 2015, 08:18:33 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 08:18:33 pm »
9 mm 12-point standard socket
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #23June 01, 2015, 09:17:23 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 09:17:23 pm »
Is N10013401 the correct flywheel/ pressure plate bolts? Dealer says 9 are needed and they are $1.77 ea. FCPEuro have ones made by Febi at $1.09 ea.  Are they OK?  What type of socket is needed on these 12 point jobbies?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-clutch-pressure-plate-bolt-n10013401

yes those look like the right ones, but i did not use those, the old old flywheel bolts were 6 point, and reuseable, so i found 9 of them and used them since they were free, i didn't have an issue with the 6 point bolts other than that they rubbed the contact plate of the pressure plate.  but when i put it back together i will be using the 12 point ones you posted.

i think to fix this i will take an old used pressure plate i have, and drill out the rivets and remove the contact plate and membrane/spring then put my clutch net  membrane/spring contact plate and straps over on to the used backing plate and bolt the straps on.  clutchnet has like a month lead time and it will also cost me atleast another 200 dollars to replace the pressure plate, if i swap the backing plates it should only cost me a few nuts and bolts.

here is a picture of how it sits now, i have done the same thing with a mk3 2.0 and a mk4 1.8t as well.  i don't know how well it would work with a mk2 or mk3 that didn't have ac since the compressor rested on the front cross member and kind of kept it steady, but it should be fine i'd just be careful since the motor mount is on the back of the engine and not on the side like a mk1 or mk4.

Reply #24June 02, 2015, 10:38:45 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:45 am »
i think to fix this i will take an old used pressure plate i have, and drill out the rivets and remove the contact plate and membrane/spring then put my clutch net  membrane/spring contact plate and straps over on to the used backing plate and bolt the straps on.  clutchnet has like a month lead time and it will also cost me atleast another 200 dollars to replace the pressure plate, if i swap the backing plates it should only cost me a few nuts and bolts.

I'm no expert on this but not sure if that's a good idea. Rivets are low profile and meant to not come off. Bolts will be much higher profiles and could come loose even with loctite.

Reply #25June 02, 2015, 10:43:04 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 10:43:04 am »

I'm no expert on this but not sure if that's a good idea. Rivets are low profile and meant to not come off. Bolts will be much higher profiles and could come loose even with loctite.

it's been done a lot by people who kept ripping straps, so they would drill out the rivets and install 2-3 straps with bolts.  it's worth trying atleast since it could save me 2-300 dollars.  but it's a well tested and proven thing to do.  i could always use some button head allens if clearance is an issue.  and definitely will use red loctite.

Reply #26June 02, 2015, 10:55:37 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 10:55:37 am »
OK, hope it goes well and good luck. How high are those jack stands set at? What kind of creeper is that? I don't even own one and always crawl on cardboard because my floor jack is only 16" (I think).

Reply #27June 02, 2015, 11:09:38 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 11:09:38 am »
hmm i'm not sure, the transmission was probably 3-4 feet off the ground.

Reply #28June 02, 2015, 11:12:23 am

jmaddocks

• Junior

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 11:12:23 am »
it's been done a lot by people who kept ripping straps, so they would drill out the rivets and install 2-3 straps with bolts.  it's worth trying atleast since it could save me 2-300 dollars.  but it's a well tested and proven thing to do.  i could always use some button head allens if clearance is an issue.  and definitely will use red loctite.

FWIW, the ACT pressure plate I recently installed has doubled-up straps.  ~$222 shipped via amazon.

Regarding jackstands and engine support, I usually put a floor jack under the oil pan (cushioned with a piece of scrap wood), which enables me to raise or lower the engine a bit to get the desired angle for tranny installation and removal.  Of course, that ties up my floor jack, so I'm relegated to bench pressing the tranny into place, which is a lot of fun when it takes a couple of minutes to get the splines aligned.   :P
'89 Jetta 1.6d HE200WG, ported solid lifter head, ARP studs, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, lightened FW, ACT clutch
'79 Rabbit ABA swap, microsquirt
'91 Corrado 1.9L T3/T04e, ported 16v head, JE pistons, Scat rods, megasquirt, peloquin, E85, etc

Reply #29June 02, 2015, 11:16:42 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 11:16:42 am »
You could always put a dab of weld to the bolts or straps if one was really concerned.

Fixmyvw.com