S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: I have no idea why I bought this car.  (Read 3100 times)

April 15, 2015, 10:21:37 am

Smoker

• Veteran

I have no idea why I bought this car.
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:21:37 am »
I responded to a cl ad for an 89 Jetta, not running.  I got there and wasn't real excited about what I saw, but he threw me a number that I couldn't turn down.  Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the thing. 

The story is that it was low on compression, and he determined that the valve clearance being out of spec was to blame.  Rather than mess with lifter shims, he bought a hydro motor with a trans, and tried to use the hydro head on the mechanical block.  Anyway, I got two complete motors, one solid and one hydro, but they're scrambled up. Also got the spare trans, but it seems to be locked up.   What to do, what to do...

At this point, my plan is to take the wheels, tires, pump (with ports reversed for my turbo project) and 5 speed for my caddy.  I guess part the rest out, although I hate to see a straight and solid mk2 trashed, even if it needs paint.  I'd imagine someone will want the blue interior, as shockingly it's in really good shape and complete.

Reply #1April 15, 2015, 11:35:03 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: I have no idea why I bought this car.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:35:03 am »
the shell is nicer than mine. How much to 44654 :D

Reply #2April 15, 2015, 11:40:42 am

Smoker

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:42 am »
Ha. I've been meaning to visit the buckeye for a while now. I'll bring it up after I get my caddy turbo'd!

Reply #3April 15, 2015, 11:58:29 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:58:29 am »
If it truly is in good shape, it would be rather foolish to "part it out."
Why not re-list it on the craigslist or tell these guys where the car geographically is located. Myself, I have driven 2.5 states away for a usable Mk. II body.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #4April 15, 2015, 12:01:13 pm

Smoker

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 12:01:13 pm »
I would much rather sell the roller than part it out, for multiple reasons. But I'm not inclined to rebuild the motor and put it back in the car, as I really have no use for it (the car).

S-PAutomotive.com