Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Mtdi mk2 golf confusion!  (Read 3626 times)

April 06, 2015, 09:56:51 am

SouthCoveVW

Mtdi mk2 golf confusion!
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:56:51 am »
Hey everyone!

So i went to look at mk2 golf yesterday for sale mainly for parts. The main thing that got my attention was it was said to have a giles super pump installed! But what amazed me was that the guy said it also has a 1z tdi head installed on the aaz block , it definitely was a tdi head but was unsure of block ? What im not sure is if it is actually a super pump as it did not work all that strong it did not work any better then aaz with 1.6 boost pin and slightly higher boost pressure?

So my main concern is how i could prove if it is a super pump? And i guess possibly if it could just be an aaz pump not modded for tdi fueling? The car has been driven daily up until a few weeks ago because he suspects head gasket failure? And is his reasoning selling!

Thanks in advance for any help someone maybe able to lend
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:44:25 pm by SouthCoveVW »

98 Jetta AHU
00 Jetta ALH

Reply #1April 06, 2015, 01:21:36 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Mtdi mk2 golf confusion!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 01:21:36 pm »
As far as I know Giles does not make 'Super Pumps' for the mTDI application.  I could be mistaken though.  The pump fitted to the engine may be a Giles mTDI pump or it may be an AAZ 'Super Pump'.  A 1Z can be fitted to an AAZ block IF the pistons are swapped to TDI pistons.  With IDI pistons and a TDI head, there would be no combustion chamber.  I believe the compression ratio would be a gazillion to 1 with cylinder pressures bending the rods or blowing the head gasket.

The main difference between an AAZ superpump and an mTDI pump would be the 9mm plunger and the timing advance.  If the 'short cap' is fitted to the outside of the dynamic advance plunger then it is most likely an AAZ pump.  You could also pull the large triangular distributor head plug and easily measure the plunger with calipers.   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:24:13 pm by libbydiesel »

Reply #2April 06, 2015, 02:34:15 pm

SouthCoveVW

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 02:34:15 pm »
Thanks for the info!!

So am i correct in sayin that if it is say a superpump built for a regular aaz that you may not see the power gains running it to tdi head and injectors?

Im interested in pump for another project im working which is why im a little nervous on it

Thnks again 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:44:40 pm by SouthCoveVW »
98 Jetta AHU
00 Jetta ALH

Reply #3April 06, 2015, 04:32:20 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 04:32:20 pm »
An AAZ superpump would make a poor mTDI pump.

Reply #4April 06, 2015, 06:39:15 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:39:15 pm »
Giles definitely does do M-TDI pumps for what it's worth.  I contacted him back when I was starting my build.  He was more than happy to make me a pump set up however I liked, but his cost was too high compared to just using a Rover pump.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5April 06, 2015, 10:36:18 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:36:18 pm »
I knew he was willing to make an mTDI pump, but I've heard from a couple people that he would only make one that would produce power similar to the stock eTDI pump.  I haven't ever purchased from him or even inquired about his mTDI pumps so it's all hearsay from me. 

Reply #6April 06, 2015, 10:56:31 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 10:56:31 pm »
It's not so much that he 'only' will do stock, it's more that to do a 'stock' one he needs you to provide him with a TDI pump and an AAZ pump, plus quite a bit of cash.  Anything extra you want he's happy to do, but like anyone he'll charge you for the privilege.  His superpumps are usually a few hundred $$$ premium over his normal pumps on the IDI side, the same thing basically applies so I don't think too many people have taken him up on it.  Considering you can buy a Bosch-rebuilt Rover pump with a warranty for about $1200 without any core charges it's just not cost competitive to have something custom made.  An 11mm pump head would have been an extra $1K for instance over his base quote... new Bosch part mind you but the price point just kills it right there.

Honestly I wish he'd do a Rover pump with the right delivery valves and the rest of his magic as an off-the-shelf item for TDI builds...

And yeah, the AAZ superpump is a fantastic thing, on an IDI engine.  It needs a bigger pump head (see $1K bill for that alone above) plus it needs the advance modified.  You'd be in more cash than it'd cost to get a pump that's already set up well.  The most cost effective option would be to sell the AAZ superpump (which will also work on a 1.6!) and use the funds towards a Rover pump.
Bryn

Reply #7April 07, 2015, 07:18:12 am

SouthCoveVW

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 07:18:12 am »
thanks again guys!

but i think this topic might gotten a bit strayed haa

I am not looking for an mTDI pump i would love to have an AAZ superpump to put on another IDI project i have on the go and that is what the guy selling the car is claiming it to be. so i guess i am just looking to find out the easiest way to prove that it may in fact be a super pump before i buy the car from him!

the car runs a drives pretty decent just doesnt have the superpump power that i would expect, if it did have an AAZ super pump would it be capable of running the TDi injectors at all or would just run like a bag of hammers!

i know libby said an AAZ super pump would make a poor mTDI pump but would it still run good enough to drive?

thanks again guys

98 Jetta AHU
00 Jetta ALH

Reply #8April 07, 2015, 08:25:09 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 08:25:09 am »
An IDI pump on a TDI will run, it just won't have any power.  Like it'll barely accelerate, it'll drive like a worn out NA.

In terms of verifying whether the pump is really a Giles pump or not, the best bet would be to call Giles.  He probably has either markings on the pump or serial numbers listed at his end, something like that.
Bryn

Reply #9April 07, 2015, 07:08:33 pm

SouthCoveVW

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 07:08:33 pm »
I emailed Giles, he got back to right away and i am going to take pictures of the pump and he wanted to know if i knew any history of who might have originally bought it and is working on it for me.hopefully will here back tomorrow

on another note if i buy this car would I possibly have a worthy engine for someone to buy for an M-TDI swap? Minus the pump of course.  We will check and see if it is a head gasket or not but we may have it up for sale if there would be some interest in it

98 Jetta AHU
00 Jetta ALH