S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Looking at buying an 82 1.6D  (Read 3394 times)

April 01, 2015, 11:07:20 am

slowcoal

Looking at buying an 82 1.6D
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:07:20 am »
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and I joined so I can learn a lot for my soon to be mk1.
So I'm currently looking to buy a 82 4 door rabbit with a 1.6. The owner of the vehicle claims that the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner. The car is in pretty good shape. No body damage or rust but the interior does need a good cleaning and some replacement parts. So my question is, how reliable are these little Diesel engines? The main purpose of this car is to make it my daily driver instead of my mk6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1April 01, 2015, 12:18:12 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Looking at buying an 82 1.6D
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 12:18:12 pm »
I don't know your location but they can be a little fussy in the 0f temp range. Other than that, you HAVE to do maintenance to keep them going. Timing belts, water pumps, fluids and filters are a must when they are supposed to be changed. I personally don't like the mk1 suspension, others love it, so I would get the best struts and shocks if it were me. Other than that, they can be reliable. Autohausaz.com is your friend...stay away from prothe/hans diesel parts/ etc, that comes out of NC as you get what you pay for.

Reply #2April 01, 2015, 02:28:03 pm

slowcoal

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:28:03 pm »

I don't know your location but they can be a little fussy in the 0f temp range. Other than that, you HAVE to do maintenance to keep them going. Timing belts, water pumps, fluids and filters are a must when they are supposed to be changed. I personally don't like the mk1 suspension, others love it, so I would get the best struts and shocks if it were me. Other than that, they can be reliable. Autohausaz.com is your friend...stay away from prothe/hans diesel parts/ etc, that comes out of NC as you get what you pay for.
Great insight! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #3April 01, 2015, 09:44:26 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:44:26 pm »
And, it's a stupid myth perpetuated by mouth breathers that tell exaggerated and inaccurate tales of these diesel engines running "forever." They don't, and the fact is that they wear with regularity.

Watch out for that term "rebuilt." I have found that to mean as little as a dusting out of the ash tray. I routinely see many of these guys taking blatant shortcuts in their idea of a rebuild. True rebuilding of these engines requires attention to detail and a lack of shortcuts. No, these aren't Vettel Ferraris.....but, still.

Take a jack along and a large piece of cardboard and literally crawl under the car and look for rust.......rust everywhere and anywhere.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Fixmyvw.com